cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nightly Android URL bar hides most of the URL

amazingakita
Making moves

I noticed this when clicking on an X/Twitter link shared with me - the URL field only shows "x.com" now, not the full "x.com/user/poststring" address until I click on the URL area. This is a huge downgrade, and a huge risk. I like to see the whole URL to check that i'm in the correct place - how am I going to do that now?

11 REPLIES 11

TTG
Making moves

I agree, this is a huge step back in UI. The location bar should show where I am, thats what an URL is for.

Only showing the brand/domain is horrible for security and conveys no information at all.

Please revert this change.

jasger_
Making moves

Or at least have an option to turn it off. I currently can't even find the correct field in about:config (yes, I already tried browser.urlbar.trimURLs)

To revert it now you can disable the new Navigation Bar: (copied from a reddit thread)

•   Move the Page up and down so you reach the three dots menu and tap it. 
  • Tap Settings.  In About, tap About Firefox Nightly. 
  • Tap the logo until a tooltip mentioning developer mode enabled appears. 
  • Tap back arrow to go to the previous menu.   A new menu has appeared in About, Secret Settings, tap it. 
  • Tap Enable Navigation Toolbar so the toggle is off

For me, those steps removed the Nav bar (which didn't bother me much) and restored the full url, which is essential.

ACD
Making moves

I second this. Can we please get an option (or about:config key) to disable the URL to domain name reduction? As a technical/power-user I don't see any benefit to this information being hidden from me.

zyxtia
Making moves

Agreed!

This is one of the worst features of iOS' Safari browser - please don't bring it to Firefox on Android.  An option to disable it would be a fair compromise, but better yet would be backing out the change entirely.

zyxtia
Making moves

FYI: this issue seems to first be showing up on Firefox Nightly Android, built 130.0a1.  Hoping this gets fixed long (reverted, or an option to disable) before it hits stable build

1000046793.png

Emmic
Making moves

absolutely baffling to me that this was considered a useful feature. what benefit does it provide? what justification did the dev who first came up with it have for their idea?

heracles
Making moves

I don't know which is worse: the decision to follow on Chrome's lead and detracts from the openess of the web by attracting URLs, of this very text b wheresome unspeakable script movesthe text pointer around.                             

Even Chrome added a configuration flag within a month and eventually reverted the % experiment. Fenix really went in here knowing how much ridicule Safari, Brave, and Chrome got for this, and that Chrome concluded there was no real security benefit.

ACD
Making moves

Heads up: I'm still on 130.0a1 (Build #2016034623), but it's displaying the full URI again, minus the protocol scheme. I'm glad to see they fixed it!

I actually wouldn't mind the reload button and/or the share button, which are always visible, being moved to the bottom row, whose 5 icons at the moment are spaced very leisurely. That way, we'd be able to see more of the web address.

Screenshot_20240728_115251_org.mozilla.fenix.png

zyxtia
Making moves

Excellent news - thanks for the heads up! I had done the workaround noted above to disable the navigation toolbar, but sure enough, turning it back on now still shows full URL (less protocol scheme).  Nice find @ACD.