cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple firefox icons in mac os x dock after upgrade to 112

okfine
Making moves

After upgrading Firefox from version 111.0 > 112.0 every time I quit Firefox another icon now shows up in the dock? If Firefox is closed x3 then 3 Firefox icons show up now (Ventura 13.3.1) Any help would be appreciated.

47 REPLIES 47

That just puts you at risk because of browser security it means you just have to not delete cookies when the browser shuts. Is it better to do that until the next than put yourself at risk of getting malware or worse because your browser isn’t  up to date and protecting you?

You can reset your Firefox by removing two files, but remember to backup your bookmarks, before you do that - it worked for me.
The files I have removed was installs.ini and profiles.ini - maybe you only need to remove one of them.
The location of the files:
/Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/Firefox

Osiris
Making moves

Good news ️ after updating Firefox to 112.0.2 (64-Bit)

Only 1 Firefox icon is now again back 👍

Killhippie
Making moves

All working here, and with delete cookies and history turned off too. Great news, not mentioned in release notes oddly...

Hadrian
Making moves

I am now using Firefox v.113 with MacOS 10.15 Catalina, but the problem is still present. The correct operation is obviously to show an icon in the recents section of the dock only if the app is not already permanently displayed in the dock. I wish to delete cookies etc after each session, so this multiple icon glitch makes Firefox look a little half-baked.

I have been a fan of Firefox for years, I prefer it to Safari on my Mac, but when such an obvious bug slipped through the testing stage I started to wonder what else might be going wrong out of sight. When I was a programmer I learnt certain points on which programmers often fall down – e.g. limiting conditions, system initialisation (relevant to this case) and rigorous testing. Yes, in v.113 the bug appears to have been fixed, but the question remains: how was a version of Firefox with a glaringly visible bug ever released?

Firefox is working fine on my Mac it’s been fine on 113 with the delete cookie data setting turned on which also turns on the delete history setting which it never used to but it does now.  I think you might need to create a new profile and then just put your add ons back on.  I think since Firefox 112.02 I haven’t had any problems and no multiple icons and it’s still fine on Ventura 13.4 and was fine on the venture 13.3 as well. 

Killhippie, you are right, when I first downloaded and opened v.113 I should have realised that the Firefox icons in the recents dock were garbage from the previous version which I had to remove manually. They should have been cleared by the browser when it opened – system initialisation!