cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory

Anonym2025
Making moves

I have been a loyal firefox user for many years, but you are about to lose me.  I have to keep task manager on the screen to make sure that firefox is not going to overload memory.  I've tried everything.  I use firefox because I thought it was secure, but how can it be secure when it has all these unknown processes running? 

2 REPLIES 2

jscher2000
Leader

Hi, Firefox has a built-in task manager to track down which tabs/sites and which internal processes are using a lot of resources. You can call that up using Shift+Esc, or type/paste about:processes in the address bar and press Enter/Return to load the page.

If you are on Windows, the system task manager has a Details panel which lists the process ID for each firefox.exe process (in Windows 7, it was the Processes tab). You can check that all the processes listed in the Windows Task Manager are also listed in Firefox's about:processes page. If Windows has more, it could indicate a hidden instance of Firefox running (usually a very bad sign).

MrWhooper
Making moves

I've been having the exact same problem for over a year now. Even with just one inactive tab open in the background if you leave the browser running too long it will continuously allocate itself more and more system memory until it hits 99% and windows crashes. I usually have to close firefox with task manager before I launch any games or they'll be fighting over ram with firefox and eventually the game will crash. I don't run a bunch of intensive extensions; just ublock and a translator extension for languages that firefox's built in translator doesn't support that I rarely turn on. During normal browsing it starts off at a normal 1-2 gigs of ram. Chrome with the same extensions will happily sit in that range all day with 20 tabs open. After an hour or two firefox it will have crept up to 4-5 gigs, which is enough to start interfering with other more intensive programs you might be running with only 16 gigs available for most people. But even if you have more, more ram isn't a solution because it will keep climbing all the way up until there's not even enough space left for windows. There are TONS of posts about this on here and elsewhere, but I've never seen mozilla really acknowledge that it is, or even could be a problem with their browser, let alone some reassurance that they're working to fix it. Always just the same response about using firefox's task manager to track down what's using the memory, with no real followup. which is pretty useless as the task manager just points to tabs taking up excessive memory with no real details, while the same tabs can be ran all day on chrome at 1-2 gigs of ram. Mozilla's responses to this problem are really odd. It almost seems like they're trying to hide something.