cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Independent search box toolbar no longer lets you hit enter to go to your default search provider

shin0bi272
Making moves

I just noticed in firefox 128.0 that I can no longer click in the search box and hit enter to go to my default search provider's homepage.  That was the way I got to that page for years and now all of a sudden it doesnt work.  While sure I can just search using that search provider in that box, that box also keeps a record of my searches while going to the search provider homepage doesnt. 

167 REPLIES 167

There is a major change to be released much more down the line which according to them is incompatible with these having a click.

Yes, assuringly more disappointment is incoming.

Also this shift solution was after all rejected here, but they didn't listen same when they didn't ask the community before removing the feature.

Only way I can see to restore it is to upgrade back to Firefox 127, the last one where it worked.  I've gathered everything I think I need, but so far I haven't had the time.  Suspending "upgrades" also sounds like a good option, unless or until they force it down our throats like they did with that terrible Thunderbird Supernova.

That's what I did, upgraded to 127.  It's annoying that several times a day they push for the "update" just for me to hit dismiss.  But I'm sticking to 127 for the foreseeable future.  A real shame that they screwed this up and are not willing to make it right.

3 months...

KragonX
Making moves

Its very frustrating that the firefox search bar no longer functions correctly.  The developer who decided this seems to have done it based on very little reasoning, and he should fix his mistake.  The attitude that was apparent in the bug reporting clearly shows disdain for users who used the search bar in this way.  It is VERY clear that this mistake needs to be reverted.

It has been reverted, just not exactly. They have introduced the function with shift + enter and shift + click. Though we were against this, as usual they ignored our opinions again. The change will come in next version.

Alifzero
Making moves

It's nice we have somekind of solution to click search engine logo to open new tab (nice because it's better than nothing), but is there any update on the "pressing enter to go search engine homepage"?  Can we expect somekind of treatment on this?