cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hulu Broke - won't play video - reboot did not fix - Grrr - stop udating me please dang it

rjmiller4249
Making moves

Stop it already with the fix it of the day / week patches - I can't take it anymore.

Now you've ruined my streaming - from lack of testing.

13 REPLIES 13

rjmiller4249
Making moves

I'm a retired senior It archecitech - ready to pull the dang plug.Everytime I turn around it seems - there is an update - if it is that bad - the bad guys have beat us / you.

APureKindSoul
Making moves

I agree! So sick of the updates, most of the time it changes my settings, this time I can no longer stream. I have tried everything to get it back and nothing works. Isn't there a motto "if it isn't broken, why try to fix it"! another massive screw up. I am back to Tor.

Coat
Making moves

So this is a Firefox issue? I spent ages trying to trouble shoot it. It was working this morning then in the afternoon it stopped. I gave up and just switched browsers to watch content. But I hate having to do that stuff.

ejkilian
Making moves

I rolled back to 128.0.3. That did get Firefox to work in Hulu on my media computer. Meanwhile, the latest Chrome works fine on my laptop.

Oatboat
Making moves

Confirmed that rolling back lets you stream Hulu. Do you guys have a QA process?!

anoncow421345
Making moves

same issue here.

joshissimo
Making moves

After the recent update to Firefox, not only am I having problems with Hulu, I get blue screen of death sometimes. And it happens ONLY when I am in Firefox.

NoahSUMO
Making moves

Hey guys, this is indeed very annoying. It looks like Firefox devs were adding improved HEVC support (fancy talk for higher quality video playback) but the problem is this work has already been in Firefox for awhile & was tested on Beta & Nightly builds before making it to release. Maybe Hulu made a tweak recently to how their videos are streamed because videos on Max & other streamers still works. Similar to how Google made some weird behind the scenes change on Youtube to break video playback for only Firefox users.... not suspicious at all right? /sarcasm.

Anyway the devs found a workaround for this by going to about:config & changing a preference:

1. Go to about:config in the url bar
  2. Search for media.eme.mfcdm.origin-filter.enabled
  3. Edit the value from 1 to 0
  4. Click the check mark button to save the change

Let me know if this works.

Side note:

The developers are hard at work tracking down this annoying bug & while I used to get angry at the devs for accidentally breaking video play back, I figured out years ago that certain companies are in fact themselves causing the video breakages on Firefox then blaming the Firefox team for that. Especially Google. They've been sabotaging Youtube for years for Firefox users in order to frustrate them & force them to switch to Chrome. Introducing very weird audio glitches, constant buffering issues, playback freezes, extreme slow loading of videos, and so on and so on.

Regarding the QA process, they do test their browser but I'm not sure if they specifically pay anyone to use all the major video streaming platforms (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Prime Video, Peacock, Apple+) & make the Nightly browser their main browser for watching videos. That's what I do to catch any breakages early & report them. But I can't afford a subscription to every **bleep** streamer out there! 😛 ....But if they wanted to pay me to do that, I'd be happy to become a dedicated tester for that. 😉

That fixed it for me. I re-installed the 129 update and it's working. Thanks!

I just tried this and now I can stream Hulu again! Thank you so much.

Thanks for this. It fixed not being able to watch video on Hulu.

I recently saw something about an extension to "mimic" or make Firefox appear to be Chrome to sites that don't work with Firefox. I recall there being discussion to not just use it across all websites because it makes the site trackers recognize the visit was from a Chrome browser and if it looks like only Chrome users are visiting the site, there will be not considerations made for other browser users. The devs requested that any site you had to use it on be reported so they could investigate the site or something like that.

I assume the update could have affected being able to play or Hulu just was making it harder for Mozilla/Firefox users since Chromes adblock doesn't really work on streaming services that plays ads.

Anyway, thanks for the work around.

this works. ty