cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How we’re moving forward to make ads and privacy coexist

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let’s talk about advertising—more specifically, how Mozilla should participate in it while staying true to our core values.  

Earlier today, Mozilla President Mark Surman published a blog post on the topic. And Mozilla CEO Laura Chambers also shared her thoughts

We want to hear your thoughts too. 

We are committed to doing a better job engaging with our community and keeping you informed of the work we’re doing and why we believe in it. Mozilla wouldn’t be where we are today without the support of our community members, and we want to continue working together to build a better internet for all. That’s what we hope to use this space for.  

To kick off the discussion, here are a few important points from the blog posts:

• Advertising on Mozilla products, including Firefox will remain focused on respecting user privacy. That’s table stakes for us. 
  • By deploying and iterating on new technologies, we aim to improve our standardization efforts and prove that advertising can support online ecosystems without eroding individual privacy. 
  • Our focus is on technologies and methods like differential privacy, encryption, aggregation, and multiparty computation, which allow advertisers and publishers to derive insights about advertising performance without sharing user data with each other.

Please check out the above blog posts and share your feedback here. Or if you have any questions, let us know. We’ll be actively monitoring the discussion and plan to share our takeaways in a follow-up post.

3 REPLIES 3

Lutz
Making moves

In her blog post Laura says about PPA:

While the trial was never activated for external users …

What does „external user“ mean? The feature is enabled by default in Firefox and much has been written by Mozilla about this being intentional. I am confused.

brixter
Making moves

I'd like the ability to block ads by media type. I'm fine with text, picture ads or even gifs but video ads or live streaming videos are annoying. Since this can't be done, I just block all ads even those that I can tolerate.

IsaG
Making moves

I don't want a single part of my peripheral vision occupied by someone trying to sell me something.

I do not tolerate any advertisements.