cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal bookmarks toolbar gone in latest update

Vijen
Making moves

I had about 30 regularly used bookmarks (just the icons with descriptions deleted) conveniently placed under my tabs. Now the bookmarks toolbar is forced vertical, which uses MUCH more space! After many years with Firefox this is a deal-breaker: will look elsewhere if there isn't a fix.

5 REPLIES 5

Gumarx
Making moves

The same thing happened to me, all my bookmarks disappeared, even with a synchronized account. Search locally for %appdata% and there is only one profile

@Gumarx wrote:

The same thing happened to me, all my bookmarks disappeared, even with a synchronized account. Search locally for %appdata% and there is only one profile

That sounds like a different problem. Hopefully all resolved by now but for future reference, the best support articles for this situation are:

Bob1313
Making moves

Two months later I am still having problems with this toolbar. It is only occasionally, but the toolbar will disappear. I find that I have to open "View" and toggle "Bookmarks Toolbar" off and back on again.

jscher2000
Leader

Hi All, Firefox 123.0 has a new preference to set the bar to always visible in private windows. It seems that the usual methods are not yet setting this preference. Hopefully that will be fixed soon, but until then, you need to do it yourself:

Here's how you can check on that:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.toolbars.bookmarks.showInPrivateBrowsing and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false to true

Success?

jscher2000
Leader

@Vijen wrote:

I had about 30 regularly used bookmarks (just the icons with descriptions deleted) conveniently placed under my tabs. Now the bookmarks toolbar is forced vertical, which uses MUCH more space! After many years with Firefox this is a deal-breaker: will look elsewhere if there isn't a fix.

You probably found out already how to switch from the Bookmarks Sidebar to the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I'll leave these links for anyone else who has the problem and finds this thread:

And if your Bookmarks Toolbar suffers from lack of horizontal space, it's possible a spacer or some other control is stealing space and forcing the "overflow" list. You can use the Customize tab to clean it up or, at the bottom, try Restore Defaults to return your toolbars to the original "factory" layout so you can customize from scratch. See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars.