cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here’s what we’re working on in Firefox

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

At Mozilla, we work hard to make Firefox the best browser for you. That’s why we're always focused on building a browser that empowers you to choose your own path, that gives you the freedom to explore without worry or compromises. We’re excited to share more about the updates and improvements we have in store for you over the next year.

Bringing You the Features You’ve Been Asking For

We've been listening to your feedback, and we're prioritizing the features you want most.

• Productivity boosters like
    • Tab Grouping, Vertical Tabs, and our handy Sidebar will help you stay organized no matter how many tabs you have open -- whether it’s 7 or 7,500. 
    • Plus, our new Profile Management system will help keep your school, work, and personal browsing separate but easily accessible. 
  • Customizable new tab wallpapers that will let you choose from a diverse range of photography, colors, and abstract images that suits you most. 
  • Intuitive privacy settings that deliver all the power of our world-class anti-tracking technologies in a simplified, easy-to-understand way.
  • More streamlined menus that reduce visual clutter and prioritize top user actions so you can get to the important things quicker.

Continuous work on Speed, Performance, and Compatibility

Speed is everything when you’re online, so we're continuing to work hard to make Firefox as fast and efficient as possible. You can expect even faster, smoother browsing on Firefox, thanks to quicker page loads and startup times – all while saving more of your phone’s battery life. We’ve already improved responsiveness by 20 percent as measured by Speedometer 3, a collaboration we’ve spearheaded with other leading tech companies. And in that collaborative spirit, we’re also working with the Interop project to make it easy for people to build sites that work great across all browsers. We value your support in our efforts to improve cross-browser compatibility which is why we’ve added new features to easily report when websites aren’t working quite right; this feedback is critical as we look to address even small functionality issues that affect your day-to-day online experience.

Making the Most of Your Time Online -- without Sacrifice

Ensuring your privacy is core to everything we do at Firefox. Unlike other companies, who ask you to exchange your data in order to do even basic, everyday things online -- you don’t have to give up your personal information to get a faster, more efficient browser experience with Firefox. Reading a news story in a different language or signing a form for school or work shouldn't require you to give up your privacy. So, we've worked hard to make things like translation and PDF editing in Firefox happen locally on your device, so you don’t have to ship off your personal data to a server farm for a company to use it how they see fit -- to keep tabs on you, sell your information to the highest bidder, or train their AI. With Firefox, you have a lot of choice -- but you don’t have to choose between utility and privacy. Your data is secure, and most importantly, just yours.

We are approaching the use of AI in Firefox -- which many, many of you have been asking about -- in the same way. We’re focused on giving you AI features that solve tangible problems, respect your privacy, and give you real choice.

We’re looking at how we can use local, on-device AI models -- i.e., more private -- to enhance your browsing experience further. One feature we’re starting with next quarter is AI-generated alt-text for images inserted into PDFs, which makes it more accessible to visually impaired users and people with learning disabilities. The alt text is then processed on your device and saved locally instead of cloud services, ensuring that enhancements like these are done with your privacy in mind.

Join Us on This Journey

Our progress is driven by a vibrant community of users and developers like you. We encourage you to contribute to our open-source projects and to engage with us on here on Mozilla Connect or Discourse, and don't miss our upcoming AMA on Reddit, which we’ll announce soon. Your participation is crucial in shaping what Firefox becomes next.

87 REPLIES 87

Yes, automatic! That’s what what I was referring to above. I have an algorithm that truly solves tab management. Imagine if Firefox had that instead of Chrome!

Caffeine
Making moves

Thanks for the update! I'm especially glad that you're working on native tab groups and better support of multiple profiles. Both features that I'm really missing since I moved back to Firefox.

Will the improvement of multiple profiles also fix this issue? It would be really great if links clicked outside of Firefox open in the last active profile / window. That would improve my productivity a lot 😊

Thank you very much! 🙌

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback - and hey welcome back to Firefox! I'll pass this feedback along to the profiles team. We also have this idea thread here for profile management, if you want to share any additional feedback: shortcut for different profiles 

hylozoik
Making moves

REQUEST: Native Bottom-Tabs-Option please! Thank You! 🙂

I used stuff like this with tab mix plus up until firefox 28. use vertical tabs.
you probably could do this with CSS. unless you're already doing it.

Ponda
Making moves

It's amazing to hear, I waited for some of these features a long time! It's also great that you'll put more effort in making Firefox faster and consume less resources. It really feels like Mozilla has a new management that actually cares about Firefox and not just weird side projects.

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

The more streamlined menu you mentioned is not necessarily a benefit. There are many useful functions hidden in about:config. Users want to use them but don't know how to enable them because you don't have detailed documentation about about:config. So I hope that as you make the menus more streamlined, you will reveal some useful features into the settings. For example, when I enter text in the search box, the text will appear in the address bar, which is very annoying, so I hope you can display the switches of these functions in the settings. In addition, the switch for intercepting fingerprint functions should also be displayed in the settings.

Hello

https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/i-want-instructions-for-about-config/idi-p/55295
Other https://searchfox.org/mozilla-release/source/browser/app/profile/firefox.js

// The pref controls if search hand-off is enabled for Activity Stream.
pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar", true);

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1447009

I know how to use about:config to allow me to type text in the search box instead of in the address bar, but not everyone knows how to do that. To make it easier for the user to use, a switch should be added to the settings

I 100% support the need for UI switch option for this feature.

I hated this feature and accidentally got to know from this thread how to turn it off.

JEG
Making moves

Good to hear about progress, but quite disappointing that restoring PWA SSB (installable web apps) support is not in development. It is the second most user-requested feature in Connect, ahead of vertical tabs! 

Spike
Making moves

I have to say its disappointing that you choose Vertical tabs when there is 1 or 2 excellent extensions that do that already

There is a reason others done their implementation of horizontal tab and its simple as the monitors and resolution favors more horizontal screen space and not vertical ones

So a solution like Vivaldi would be way better

yermulnik
Making moves

I hope vertical tabs is just an option to complement horizontal tabs with grouping feature.

I'd love tab names to be readable, which is a piece of crap with vertical tabs IMO.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback! We'll be sharing more about vertical tabs here soon — stay tuned.

nado-x
Making moves

PWA.png
Ref: Bring back PWA (progressive web apps)

The PWA was supposedly "upgraded" to "In Review" well over 2 years ago, "which means it will be brought to our internal teams for review".   So the Mozilla internal teams have been reviewing it for over 24 months..   How can anyone take this seriously when they don't even communicate the current status?  Have they said ANYTHING about it?  At this point it would be better to just say it's not happening, because that's what seems to be reality.

Whether or not PWA is a standard or not, it's a way for a lot of us to use Teams, Outlook, Spotify and many other web apps - this applies to Windows, MacOS and yes even those *sarcasm* pesky Linux users.

I really want to be on team Mozilla, but they make it incredibly hard for me to support them when their idea of improving the web browser is to add features such as "Colorways".

JEG
Making moves

Totally agree. I want to use and root for Firefox, but no PWA SSB support is a deal breaker for me. And life is pretty good on Edge. Edge makes installing webapps so easy. 

Nich
Making moves

So sorry, pwa is a very popular feature, Jon, can you answer if pwa support is being developed, is it on the roadmap?

Doesn't look like it, or we would have heard something on the Ideas page.  😞

jomatom
Making moves

Tab grouping is nice, but we urgently need workspaces!! 🙏🏼

Opera One workspaces e.g. are great, but it misses the ability to filter browser history entries by single workspace/s.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks @jomatom - this is another popular request here on Connect. Feel free to check out this idea that also mentions how Opera has implemented workspaces: Workspaces à la Opera 

jomatom
Making moves

jomatom_1-1716488958305.png

I added this style to my UserChrome.css for extensions inside the toolbar, so that they stand out from the default toolbar buttons. If placed next to each other they form groups. I also minimized the width of the 'flexible space'. I'd really like to see a toolbar button group feature implemented in Firefox by default.

radutomy
Making moves

No PWA? Come on Mozilla, I really want to stop using Chrome once and for all.

I know about that extension, it has serious limitations and it's nowhere near as good as the Chrome equivalent.

JHeuser
Making moves

I would also like to voice my concerns about AI. I believe that it should be completely transparent - we should be able to know exactly what the AI is trained on, and when it's being used. I appreciate that you're keeping it local and using it for accessibility, but I hope you understand my concern about the ethics of this technology.

You will have an option to use public AI's, or something you run locally via some software like Ollama for example. Which is quite awesome imho, because no other browser offers that. They all have some version of their chatGPT assistants and no other option.

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

I hope that when you add the A function, don't forget to use it for Chinese

wutongtaiwan
Making moves

The AI I want is an AI that runs locally, and when I use AI, I ask the AI some questions and the AI does a search, and then the content of the search results is summarized through human language, and that's what I want.

cidra
Making moves

I hope you mainline ideas from the best extensions out there regarding tab management:

- Sidebery/Tree Style tabs for vertical tabs

- Simple Tab Groups for tab grouping

- Tab Manager V2 for a "Mozilla Connect"-like page (Whose tabs can be moved by drag n dropping across panes)

Having a unified and coherent system would be fantastic

jomatom
Making moves

I'd also love a split view as in Edge or Arc Browser.

Moltke
Making moves

Good work! However, I don't see any mention to support for minimize/close to tray in Linux. Why windows and not Linux? Why? Is it really that difficult? I'm no programmer so.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you referring to Thunderbird? If so, there's a specific thread here on Connect for that: System tray support on Linux - and good news, it's currently in development.

jomatom
Making moves

What I also really love about Arc Browser is that you can rename tab titles!

I also like this option. I would like to be able to create a rule to dynamically rename Title on some domains.

To give you an example, I am PM and I often create User Stories in Azure DevOps. When I open, the US, the title of the tabs always starts with "User Story" and then the ID and the US name. I would like to get rid of "User Story" in the title that doesn't bring much value to me. 

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks! This has been requested on Connect. For those interested, here is a link to that thread: Ability to rename tabs 

okay_okay
Making moves

This is great news can't wait for tab groups! 👍

librenyaa
Making moves

Surely there will be a one-click opt out for *all* of the LLM-based AI stuff... right?

While I can understand the uses, I'm quite tired of being forced into it wherever I go nowadays, I have no use for it and it continues to eat up the UI space of almost every program that I use, and taking valuable development time away from important functions of applications.

Kaoxt
Making moves

I was hoping the Home function on Android would get a rework! The tab management of how the home button / tab is disfunctional. On Firefox Nightly, Home button and New Tab do the same thing for Android Tablets.

DucksManiac
Making moves

It absolutely ridiculous that a user cannot add a website to an exception list.  Have you gone mad?

pierrev
Making moves

Hi Jon and all. I've been using Firefox for the past 20 years, and it is a difficult decision for me, but I've decided to change my default browser to Chrome. There is an issue with Firefox, it is simply not dealt with when web designers do design their site.  My banking website simply does not work on Firefox, in most online service who offer chat features online, the chat does not work on Firefox.  I cannot continue to lose so much productivity by sticking to Firefox. I'd like to, but it is simply not more possible.   I'll still use it from time to time, but my main use will be now on either Chrome or Edge.