cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font size is an important issue for people with vision problems

BDjim
Making moves

I have been on the internet ever since it became public in the 90s.  I was in my fifties at the time.  My first website was done in html - all that was available at the time.  A page blue background and simple Arial font.  No pictures.

I have been a user of Mozilla creations from Netscape to Firefox and definitely Thunderbird for email.  I was a happy camper.

It all came apart 6 or 7 months ago when an update to my Thunderbird made all the pages so large that I couldn't use the site.  I'm on Linux so I tried several email apps.  They worked - but they reminded me of those early days of screens with blue backgrounds and Arial text.  Then came Thunderbird 115 and I thought I'd give it a try.  I had and still have lots of problems with the software.  I have been helped by a top 10 contributor who did everything he could for me, but there are parts of the program that simply do not work for me.

I am in my 80s now and I have, not just aging vision, but macular degeneration.  Needless to say, I need my text large.  The minimum size I can see is 14pt.

Guess what size font my incoming emails have? 6pt!  Even for people with normal vision, 6pt text is a hard read.  My top ten contributor stayed with me while guiding me through the process of setting my fonts.  But we went through a number of pitfalls. 1) Apparently the menu at the top of the Linux screen is different from a Windows screen and probably a Mac screen?  Why?  Why aren't the menus uniform across computer systems?  Why(on Linux) are font issues found in Edit>Settings, View>Font Size, View>Zoom  and also in "Hamburger Menu" at the top right of the Thunderbird Header.

My Mentor assured me that the font problem had been fixed and gave me a detailed (with images) path to set my fonts.  It didn't work and I also sent images to show 1) that I had followed his instructions and 2) with an image of an email, showed him that there was no change in my incoming emails.  Now, I have found that I can use Cntl++ to enlarge the type in my incoming emails.  However, the enlargement is not permanent.  If I want to read my next email, I have to use Cntl-- in the previous incoming email so that I can use Cntl++ on the next email.  THIS IS CRAZY.  Does no one see that this is crazy?

Please, this needs to be fixed

See a sample incoming email below

1 REPLY 1

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

Try layout.css.devPixelsPerPx
https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/layout-css-devpixelsperpx/td-p/42594

Config Editor https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/config-editor
Search preference name layout.css.devPixelsPerPx