cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Slow Except When in Private Mode

Jeff707
Making moves

After the most recent update my Firefox started crashing more often and slowly loading pages.

I disabled sync across my browsers and that seemed to fix the crashing problem, but there are still many sites that it loads very slowly.

If I load the site in Private Mode - or in Chrome - the site pops up very fast.

I've tried disabling my extensions.
I've tried running in Troubleshooting Mode.
I've cleared the startup cache.
I've done a "refresh" of Firefox as well.
There are currently no extensions or themes installed at all.

But, it still loads site slowly (10-20 seconds vs immediate) unless I use private mode.
Any thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

du
Making moves

same for me. Slowing down the whole system since the newest update of firefox was installed. Even freezes up the laptop sometimes for a couple of seconds.
Can't use firefox anymore.

Jeff707
Making moves

I may have found the reason a number of sites are loading slowly (except in private mode or chrome).

If I go to SETTINGS -> PRIVACY & SECURITY -->then change from Standard to Strict things work better.

There must be a cross-site cookie or something like that causing problems.
That would explain private mode working.

Not sure why Chrome makes it load quicker.

johnCindy987
Making moves

Still being very slow, If this is an improvement, then it needs improvement!!  Like now , not a fast typist , and the screen lag is 1-2 seconds, text appears is blocks after the finished word.  Ughhhhhh!!!!!  Really acting weird on Outlook/Hotmail.

Jeff707
Making moves

There are still multiple sites that load super slow. But, if I run them in Chrome they're just fine.

I've discovered that some of these are still slow in private mode, and no matter what security settings I use.

By slow, I mean... really slow - like taking 30-60 seconds to load a page, when it pops up in Chrome in 0.5 seconds.

Snoobz
Making moves

Hello,

I do have the same problem... latest update installed (107.0.1) and firefox is very slow to load websites like youtube...

Sometimes the browser freeze ..

I can't use it at all, we need a fix ASAP thanks.

Regards,

Jeff707
Making moves

Here is a screen shot of a loading time from drudgereport.com for example.
You'll see the loading time is 1.37 minutes!! It loads in Chrome in 1 second, literally, so it's not merely the website/server problems. It's something Firefox.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 153608.png

Jeff707
Making moves

Screenshot 2022-12-12 153608.png

Jeff707
Making moves

I don't know who fixed it, but this morning Firefox is loading all the sites quickly. Zillow, for example, and all the other sites I can remember loading extremely slowly are now loading super quick just as before.

Thank you!

Jeff707
Making moves

Well... it was a wonderful two days... now the same sites all load super slow again.
Zillow, DrudgeReport, for examples.

AndreU
Making moves

Noticing the same thing here. When I load the same page side by side with Edge, edge is loaded and ready to rock and roll while Firefox is still spinning.

Please fix this ASAP

chrism
Making moves

Yes, very slow on Facebook Marketplace while Chrome has no trouble at all.

GI
Making moves

I also observe Firefox not loading pages for up to 60s. No visible progress at first and then they suddenly finish loading...
UNLESS
... I open an EDGE Window when noticing such a slowdown - then firefox instantly finishes 😯

I was wondering if anyone else can reproduce this workaround on their systems.
I wonder what the cause might be (some weird interaction with DNS, firewall, ...?)