cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Ask For Primary Password At Startup

Ikmal
Making moves

Hi,

I use Primary Password to protect my saved login credentials that saved in Firefox browser. After I activate the Primary Password, Firefox always ask for Primary Password at startup. Why? I thought Primary Password is used to protect my saved login credentials whenever I want to see it, or maybe someone else. So, how to disable the password prompt at startup without remove protection on my saved login credentials?

3 REPLIES 3

jscher2000
Leader

If you have Firefox set up to Sync, that will trigger a request to unlock your saved Firefox Account credentials. If you're not in a hurry to Sync, you can just cancel it (tap the Esc key).

Thanks for figuring it out. It makes sense.

Still, I see two issues here—

1. It's utterly confusing; the app's asking for the password but lets you freely bypass it without any apparent consequnces

2. The timing for the prompt is horrendous. It's like, the app starts, but then a second later realises it's actually not ready to, and has to backtrack and interrupt whatever the user had started doing

Issue 1 can be easily fixed by changing the wording of the prompt (to sync now enter... or you can sync later in tools>sync now...). Issue 2 seems deeper as it would require changing the core startup procedure

Max001
Making moves

Hi , i have this annoying issue too .
Is it by design or something due to my parameters?
i tried this but not working : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-keeps-asking-me-primary-password
Some people/forums says it's because of a addon/pluggin  but i disabled all addon and same issue.
is it possible to circumvent this with a parameter and still have the sync turned on with master password ?
If it's by design and due to a security measure , then why is the Firefox account never ask for a password for syncing ?

Thanks for your precious answers
Max