cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

denial to too many sites!

FPL
Making moves

I'm a devoted Firefox user for years, however, I am troubled by the continuing "refusal" to connect to my favorite web sites. Firefox denies me access stating that it's unsafe, not compliant, or I must "go Back".

Most of these sites are not a threat as I've used them before. I've been "forced" to use Google Chrome browser to connect. I'm not happy having to change from Firefox. Is there a setting or fix for me to continue using Firefox?

"I am only responsible for what I say, not what you think you heard!"
John Wayne
6 REPLIES 6

KK1
Making moves

Can't agree any more!!!!

jscher2000
Leader

Firefox can show numerous different secure connection errors. Most of the time, Firefox is saying that it was presented with a certificate that it cannot verify as being a valid certificate, so the server that responded to your request could be an impostor, or there might be a "man in the middle" of the connection.

If the error page has an error code (often starts with SEC_ERROR) or an Advanced button which leads to an error code, the following article is a general reference to troubleshoot the problem. However, you also can mention what code it is for additional comments.

https://support.mozilla.org/kb/error-codes-secure-websites 

What happened to let us decide on our own(!?!?!?!)!!!

There are NUMEROUS sites, especially test bed or network appliances that will likely NEVER set updated for various reasons that we need access to.  Either FireFox can STOP being so restrictive in this manner or we all switch!

Figure it our FireFox or watch the market share move on!

@rmcclure wrote:

There are NUMEROUS sites, especially test bed or network appliances that will likely NEVER set updated for various reasons that we need access to.  Either FireFox can STOP being so restrictive in this manner or we all switch!

Which error code does Firefox show when trying to connect to those sites/appliances?

Some error pages present an Advanced button where you can view a specific code and sometimes save an exception. Others don't have that button because the connection failed earlier in the process.

Support article: Secure connection failed and Firefox did not connect 

The Secure Connection Failed messages I've received in recent months do not show an error code.  One particular mainstream site (Xfinity) refuses to connect to any of the customer related pages (account, billing, etc.) but I can find nothing wrong with the certificates.  Also, the Android version of Firefox has no problem with the same site and same pages that the Windows version 113 blocks.  Had the same problem with the Menards site earlier this year, that one eventually fixed itself.  We need to be allowed to set exceptions, as in the past, to let us connect to sites Firefox incorrectly blocks.

@gcraig0001 wrote:

The Secure Connection Failed messages I've received in recent months do not show an error code.

At lot of times, this means Connection Failed (and it happened to be a secure site), not that Firefox objects to anything about the site setup.

You may want to post this problem on the Mozilla Support site. They have a team of support volunteers to troubleshoot malfunctions with your currently installed version of Firefox, while this site is focused on idea submissions for future versions of Firefox (looking ahead anywhere from 8 weeks to many months). Here's a link to the new question form (for Windows/Mac/Linux): https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ