cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed Bookmark behavior in folder

Korval
Making moves

I have a folder with many many bookmarks (100+).  When I scroll down to the area I want and select one and then return to the bookmark folder, my location in the folder has been lost and it starts back at the top.

This is a recent and very unwanted change.  I often am referring to several bookmarks that are co-located in the folder and have to scroll down each time is VERY annoying.  Please revert to the previous behavior, where (until Firefox is closed and re-started), it remembers where you are in a bookmark folder.

6 REPLIES 6

jscher2000
Leader

Hi Korval, there is a long thread about this problem: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/bookmark-error-after-update-to-version-110-0/td-p/25087

There is a draft code fix for this under review (bug 1809084), but I'm not sure it will make it into Firefox 111 because there is very little test time left in the beta cycle. Firefox 112 seems more likely to me.

----

Until then, one possible workaround if you have a widescreen display is to use the Bookmarks Sidebar: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/use-firefox-sidebar-access-bookmarks-history-synced

----

For someone who needs to open multiple bookmarks sequentially, and uses Ctrl+click or middle-click (with the scroll wheel) to do that, perhaps this combination of settings will be useful. It involves setting Firefox to (1) open bookmarks sent to new tabs in the background and (2) keep the bookmarks menu open when it does that. Here's how:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false to true

(D) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu and pause while the list is filtered

(E) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

Now when you Ctrl+click or middle-click a bookmark, Firefox should keep the menu open.

Obviously we have to hope there is a fix in Firefox 112 for the scroll issue which you said draft code fix for bug 1809084 will be in. Any idea when Firefox 112 is due and is there any other place to bring the issue up to try to raise the importance of this issue and push for a fix?

@Kafka666 wrote:

Obviously we have to hope there is a fix in Firefox 112 for the scroll issue which you said draft code fix for bug 1809084 will be in. Any idea when Firefox 112 is due and is there any other place to bring the issue up to try to raise the importance of this issue and push for a fix?

The fix is in testing in future Firefox 113 (release expected May 9, 2023). It does not look like the fix will be in Firefox 112.

sillygirl
Making moves

Amen to this being very annoying!!!

Kafka666
Making moves

I was only happy that it wasn't just me having this incredibly annoying and actually major hindrance to working. Realized instantly it was just Schadenfreude. I wish nobody else had this problem. Thanks jscher2000 for the the best up to date info I've found anywhere.

sillygirl
Making moves

Thank you thank you thank you for fixing this!!!!!!