cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring back the open/download options!!

brandwing
Making moves

Will you PLEEASSEE roll back this lousy update! I click on a hundred pdfs online everyday! I don't want to download them all! In fact, I don't want to download any of them! I'm a land surveyor that simply needs to read deeds, plans, zoning and planning documents, etc....I want need the option to open them in a helper app instead of downloading them!!  Firefox, Please fix this!!! It's horrible!!

12 REPLIES 12

lunacy
Making moves

Ditto!
I also review online docs most I do NOT want saved but Firefox now forces them into my downloads folder.
Before I realized that this was happening I had hundreds of unwanted files mixed in with a dozen or so "keeper" files.
That cost me several hours to review, sort & delete.
Before this Firefox F'up I used my downloads folder as a holding To Be Sorted, later, folder.
My workaround (for now) was to create a separate folder I named "Saved TBS" for only files I want.
While this does NOT stop Firefox from also placing a duplicate file in my Downloads folder it does save me additional sorting time of every file Firefox forces into my Downloads folder.
At the end of the day I just empty the downloads folder. A waste of time and potentially money as some ISP's charge additional fees for over limit bandwidth.
This double downloading is a WASTE of bandwidth.
While I like and have used Firefox for years I AM evaluating other browsers in case this stupidity continues.

CaioFonsecaF
Making moves

The worst thing for me is to have all the time to go back to the page that I always need to have it open

jscher2000
Leader

@brandwing wrote:

Will you PLEEASSEE roll back this lousy update! I click on a hundred pdfs online everyday! I don't want to download them all! In fact, I don't want to download any of them! I'm a land surveyor that simply needs to read deeds, plans, zoning and planning documents, etc....I want need the option to open them in a helper app instead of downloading them!!  Firefox, Please fix this!!! It's horrible!!

Firefox 98 changed from saving those files in the Windows or Linux system Temp folder -- out of sight, out of mind, and typically self-cleaning -- to instead saving them in the folder listed on the Settings page next to "Save files to." There isn't a way to pass a file to an external application without saving it somewhere, but Mozilla has definitely received a lot of feedback from people who found the old way convenient. Does it outweigh the problem that some users had with lost files when their download disappeared? I don't know; not for me to judge.

The workflow for PDFs is a little complicated:

By default, Settings > Applications has the "Open in Firefox" action for PDFs, so they open in a tab with their original URL in the address bar (the file is stored in the web content cache with pages, images, etc.). The download button in the PDF viewer used to pop up a dialog with Open/Save/Cancel choices, but now it works like a "Save Page As" button, so that is an extra step.

If you change from "Open in Firefox" to "Always Ask", then Firefox will save the file somewhere, so while it will be faster on the front end, you have a clean-up issue when Firefox or your OS doesn't remove those files automatically. Firefox 98 does have a new context menu item to remove downloaded files one by one: right-click > Delete (this is permanent and bypasses the Recycle Bin)

Fx98-downloads-context-delete.png

At some point after the deletion, the text on the list will change to indicate that the file was moved or is missing. I'm not aware of any way to do this in bulk.

One Workaround

What I'm doing for now is this pair of settings:

(1) Change the default download folder to a "temp" folder I created
(2) Set Firefox to always ask where I want to save a file so I can choose a real folder when I want to keep the file

On the Settings page, it looks like this:

Fx98-settings-download-save-temp.png

At some point, I might dump the contents of my TEMP folder, but like the old system, for me it's "out of sight, out of mind."

@lunacy wrote:

... A waste of time and potentially money as some ISP's charge additional fees for over limit bandwidth.
This double downloading is a WASTE of bandwidth.
While I like and have used Firefox for years I AM evaluating other browsers in case this stupidity continues.

You could try my TEMP folder workaround -- does that avoid double-saving?

@CaioFonsecaF wrote:

The worst thing for me is to have all the time to go back to the page that I always need to have it open

Could you explain this problem in more detail.

The decision to change the old behavior was incredibly stupid. That every opened pdf is saved to the download folder is a huge problem, generating unnecessary workflow. I should not have to adopt a workaround to fix something that previously worked fine!

MattMatt
Making moves

As well as being a measure that makes using Firefox much less convenient, it also causes major security problems. Take theannoyingsite.com as an example. Amongst all the actions performed to annoy the user, it initiates the downloading of several cat pictures. Now imagine an even more malicious website downloading hundreds of files, or malicious files. It could infect the victim's computer without any action on their part. Or fill their hard drive. Or simply incur a huge internet bill. I didn't expose myself to this kind of risk by using Firefox, which is one of the reasons I preferred it to other browsers. If this change persists, I'll switch to Chromium, too bad for the monopoly.

@MattMatt wrote:

As well as being a measure that makes using Firefox much less convenient, it also causes major security problems. Take theannoyingsite.com as an example. Amongst all the actions performed to annoy the user, it initiates the downloading of several cat pictures. Now imagine an even more malicious website downloading hundreds of files, or malicious files.

This is temporary workaround until something better comes along:

You can intercept (and cancel) downloads by setting Firefox to ask you where to save the file every time. On the Settings page:

Fx92-downloads-always-ask.png

It could infect the victim's computer without any action on their part. Or fill their hard drive. Or simply incur a huge internet bill. I didn't expose myself to this kind of risk by using Firefox, which is one of the reasons I preferred it to other browsers. If this change persists, I'll switch to Chromium, too bad for the monopoly.

I think all browsers protect against drive-by file execution, but someone should verify that. Regarding bandwidth, by the time Firefox presented the Download (Open/Save/Cancel) dialog, it was already downloading the file in the background, so showing that more often didn't save on bandwidth unless the file was so large that you were able to interrupt the download before it completed.

How does Chromium handle the unwanted cat photos situation?

Your temporary workaround does not work. Even if one has the browser configured to "always ask" it saves a copy of the file in the Download folder. By the way, this completely obviates the decision to "always ask".

@DF wrote:

Your temporary workaround does not work. Even if one has the browser configured to "always ask" it saves a copy of the file in the Download folder. By the way, this completely obviates the decision to "always ask".

This temporary workaround you replied to is a basic change to make sure you can always cancel a "drive by" file download. Does that not work on yours?

If you are referring to the problem of Firefox 98-99 using the Downloads folder when you choose to "Open with [relevant application]" instead of using the system Temp folder, there is an extra step to work around the mixing of files. (This was mentioned in an earlier reply.) Firefox will use the folder that's to the right of "Save files to:" which by default is the Downloads folder. To override that, you need to change that folder to a Temp folder. Here's how I have it set on mine.

Fx98-settings-download-save-temp.png

When I mentioned it earlier, you said "I should not have to adopt a workaround to fix something that previously worked fine!" I have no idea what the future holds for using the system Temp folder again, so this is offered in the spirit of "better than nothing." If you don't agree, then don't use it.

hdfoxgx
Making moves

Completely agree. This feature removal is so painful.

fullsaile
Making moves

even when prompted and selecting to only "open" and not save to local folder, opening a word document now suddenly also saves a copy to my local machine. Please fix!!

Sidah
Making moves

I work for a transcription company and handle multiple files per day without the need to save them.  The removal of the option to open only has caused increased workload, having to then delete these files constantly. It also creates confusion when looking for a file I actually want saved.  I'm not sure the reason why Firefox devs did this but please let the user decide the files they want to save in your next upgrade. Thanks!

@Sidah wrote:

I work for a transcription company and handle multiple files per day without the need to save them.  The removal of the option to open only has caused increased workload, having to then delete these files constantly. It also creates confusion when looking for a file I actually want saved.  I'm not sure the reason why Firefox devs did this but please let the user decide the files they want to save in your next upgrade. Thanks!

What kind of files are they?

Firefox needs to save a file to disk somewhere in order to send it over to an external application. You can keep the new default behavior in Firefox 98+ -- saving it in your "Save files to:" folder --  or you can switch that back to the Windows Temp or Linux /tmp folder (similar to Firefox 97 and earlier). Here's how to switch it:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.download.start_downloads_in_tmp_dir and pause while the list is filtered [this requires Firefox 102 or newer]

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false to true (or click the toggle button toward the right end of the row)