On Firefox Android, I've noticed problems on download management:
1. The Downloads page does not display the progress/status of ongoing downloads. It only displays completed downloads.
2. The download progress only displays in the system notification. If the download fails and cleared that notification (either intentional or by accident), the download will be removed/cancelled.
Here's my idea:
Add more information in the Downloads page (much like in Chrome and Edge):
- progress/status of ongoing downloads
- pause/unpause and cancel options
- progress bar or otherwise
- download speed and size downloaded over download file size
Comparison of downloads page of Chrome, Edge and Firefox:
Deal breakers In Firefox Android Downloads
1. No, In App Section To See What's Currently Downloading (Download Section Only Shows Finished Tasks)
2. Need To Relay On Notification To See Current Task But When We Close The App It Goes.
3. No File Info In Downloading Like Total Size & How Much Is Done 235MB/750MB.
4. Doesn't Show How Much Time It Takes To Download.
5. While Downloading Multiple Files Redirected By Any App Doesn't Even Shown Progress In Notification
6. When We Accidentally Close Firefox Downloading Get Cancelled. ( Fix 6 ASAP)
This My Playstore Review 2 Years Back. No One Listen.
Fingers Crossed 🤞
Here with an exciting update…
Your idea has received a great deal of votes (kudos) and support here in the Mozilla Connect community, so we are upgrading the status to “Trending idea.” This means it’s now one step closer to reaching our internal teams for review—learn more about The Idea Journey.
Please keep the conversation going (the more details, the better) and stay tuned for updates 😃
-The Community Team
Aha, finally I found here. I'll tell my experience. When I found there's no progress bar, I thought it's something wrong with my system or firefox software. So I searched. I found the exact same problem for the desktop version here , which is the problem of add-on. So I checked, but my Android version has no add-on.
What I wish to say is this looks like a bug, not a feature. If the desktop version consider it as a serious problem, why Android version does not? Also, most softwares use system notification area as a place for advertisments. So it's unexpected that an important feature is there. My suggestion is at the very least, when you detect the notification for firefox is off, please provide a hint in the download page that the notification should be on to see the progress.
YES, I want this downloader feature be added to firefox android
In-built Download Manager
Please introduce a good in-built downloader like the Opera Browser, for the Android version of Firefox.
Current Firefox's In-built Download Manager is extremely primitive.
(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)
Please at least add an option for changing download folder. I hate using the download folder as the default folder. Every single app and browser browser wants to use the download folder as default download folder.
I would really love to have the option to set custom download folder, like creating Firefox Folder. Currently I'm using extenal downloader to use Firefox folder that I've created using the file manager.
@mortal_engin3 no updates right now as it is not currently on our roadmap ... but as always, please continue sharing detailed feedback like your last post 👍 (it always helps when we evaluate ideas) and stay tuned for updates in case anything changes.