cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S2000
Making moves

A long time ago, I discovered that when I signed-in to a website in a Private Window, I would remain signed in to that same website in a different Private Window. I realized that all private tabs belong to one Container.

Perhaps there should be a container for each Private Window. After all, there is a certain logic built into windows so that you can separate your different tabs and browsing activity in different windows. It therefore makes sense that if you access the same website from different Private Windows, it would be for different reasons and different use-cases, and we wouldn't have the same need, therefore the website shouldn't have to access the data it already has stored on Firefox. And while this rationale doesn't make it necessarily more preferable than the status quo, there would also be a Privacy benefit from making this change: it would strengthen Firefox's powerful container abilities, by isolating websites and their data, separating more privacy-invading websites from others, while still keeping the features and functions of Private browsing for all those tabs.

6 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

lems
Strollin' around

I would like this. Maybe an option as well to choose if a private window is in the same container as another window or in its own.

Synchro
Making moves

Sounds reasonable, I like it.

jrom
Strollin' around

Just to vent the idea a bit, but what about when you create a new window by dragging and dropping a tab? Should it have the same container or a new one? If it is the former, then how could we differentiate them?

That said, I think it would be really convenient, some sites are influenced by previous history (eg.: listening to music and checking product review videos on youtube), which leads to lower privacy.

S2000
Making moves

but what about when you create a new window by dragging and dropping a tab? Should it have the same container or a new one? If it is the former, then how could we differentiate them?

Thank you! That's a good point... If we were to stick with exactly what I propose and the logic behind it, then doing so would create a new container and it would still be in line with the reasoning I suggested. However, the downside would be that it'll be necessary to sign back in if we logged into a website, since the way Containers work logins are container-specific.

I don't see why we should keep the same container when we move a tab to a new Private Window. I don't see any reason we shouldn't either, other than consistency... It would probably be better to stay consistent and create a new container, and maybe that downside could be solved in parallel, since fixing this would also be an improvement for everyone using the Multi-Account Containers Add-on.

If anyone has other thoughts about this, or the idea generally, you know that to do 🙂.

reikoneko
Strollin' around

This idea has been floated a few times in different ways. It's an excellent one and perhaps these could be rolled into a single feature request?