cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ejty

maybe a trivial one, but closing the entire browser is via the X in the top right corner, and pressing x on one last tab should not close the entire browser without any prompt. Many times I accidentally closed the entire browser when I wanted to add a new tab and accidentally moved quickly the mouse a bit next to "+".  This is especially troublesome when the history is set to clear when closing firefox.
Maybe when closing one last tab, a prompt like: "U're closing the last tab"  or:  "do you want to close the browser" would be useful?

9 Comments
Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

Ejty

...or closing one last tab could leave a new start tab or a blank page tab.

Florian1

I know what you mean, just the other way around. I longed for years for Firefox to adopt closing the whole browser when I quit the last open tab.

I perfectly agree that this feature should be adjustable via the preferences page.

For the time being, the only possibility changing this behavior is by assigning browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab = false

To achieve this, open a new tab, open about:config, (note the warning!,) search for closeWindowWithLastTab, switch the found setting (e.g. by double clicking).

Hope this helps!

Synchro
Making moves

The actions described by Florian1 is one of the first things I do when I install new Firefox. I wonder why this is not placed in a Settings page but is hidden in about:config. Actually I believe Firefox has too few settings to change for casual users

ArlyndaBoyer

Not a solution, but a workaround, from someone who tends to keep a lot of tabs open for days at a time: go to Settings, and in General > Startup, choose "open previous windows and tabs".

Ejty

thanks Florian1Like Synchro, I also think that this option should be in the main settings - for non-advanced users.

ctsmith2

Prompt Before Closing Firefox

I would like an Option in Settings to Prompt Before Closing Firefox.

To avoid closing Firefox by accident!

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

(Note: similar ideas have been merged into this thread)

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Potentially related idea here: Prompt before closing firefox with pinned tabs