cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel909

Hi

In Firefox Mobile and Firefox it would be useful to clear history and cache of websites visited that is older than a certain amount of time or before a specific date. For example, clear data that is older the 3 months, or older 6 months, or older than 14.04.22. At the moment you can only clear recent data or everything.

This would allow you to free space used up by cached files on websites that you are not visiting frequently or recently. This is particularly handy if your mobile device does not have much free storage, but you still want to benefit from reduced download time of having cached files from websites you visit regularly or websites you have visited recently and will look at again soon but will not likely visit again in the long term.

Thank you for upvoting this idea!

50 Comments
petrea9

I like to keep the history of Firefox. However, only for a limited time of a few months. Unfortunately, Firefox only has the election between save all or not.

Deleting manually takes incredibly long time, if more than 1000. And Google translate generates horribly many. Gmail too, so excluding them from the saved history would be great!

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open for votes (kudos) and comments.

foxfire

On Android my Firefox history always fills up quickly with random pages I only visited once. Clogging up search suggestion and leaving cookies and other website data.
The only option to clean up is to delete everything. But I do want to keep the history and website data of sites I open regularly.

There already is an option to automatically close tabs older then a week, a month, etc. Enable the same feature but for history (optional of course). So all history and data that's older then a certain time gets deleted automatically. 

Status changed to: New idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for submitting an idea to the Mozilla Connect community! Your idea is now open to votes (aka kudos) and comments.

yota
Strollin' around

Yes, I would love this feature. Because I don't use cookies exception(I want to use & already tried but some sites doesn't place nice with it), right now I've to manually delete older ones, which takes a lot of time.

TakeOne
Strollin' around

This would be useful.

I would also add it to the exception lists for storing cookies and tracking protection.

Sometimes you need it just once to visit the website and then forget about it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Old cache is useless and just takes up storage. I wish Firefox would be friendly to PCs with lower specs.

Status changed to: Trending idea
Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey all,

Here with an exciting update…

Your idea has quickly received a great deal of votes and support here in the Mozilla Connect community, so we are upgrading the status to “Trending idea.” This means it’s now one step closer to reaching our internal teams for review—learn more about The Idea Journey.

Please keep the conversation going and stay tuned for updates 😃

-The Community Team

Daniel909

Thank you for your Kudos and comments. This is now a trending idea, so please keep them coming so that clearing old cookies and cache data in Firefox will be implemented!

photonnix1

firefox should develop a way to automatically clear cached web content without clearing site data.