LysergZeroz
Making moves

Apparently the closest thing to restoring the old behaviour (or at least, how i had it set myself, since I haven't used the default settings for downloads in a long while):
1: set the "browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel" thing to false (this is needed so that, after going through step 2, opened files download to Temp)

2: Go to the Application settings and go for always ask. Except, they seem to have a limited amount of extensions there, so then you may want to do as it says here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manage-downloads-preferences-using-downloads-menu#w_frequently-... you can add other extensions only after you download a file of that type and then you also have to check the "Always open similar files" option for it to show up in the Application settings (and then if you actually want to have the option to choose each time, also uncheck it afterwards. Also it seems you can only use this option if the file is still where it downloaded, so don't delete it just yet).

Really did not like this change and how roundabout ^this process (which feels like it should be a simple easy to find setting) is though =/