cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird installation - still brain surgery

Kostia
Making moves

Hello everyone,

I installed Tbird on a Win 7 laptop a couple years ago, but then became frustrated with the search function (i have 100,000 emails) and moved on.

I'm now ready to give Tbird another try.

While it is still installed on the WIN7 machine, I wanted a clean install on a new WIn10 machine - which is where the problem starts.

First couple times I tried installing it, Tbird tried to confirm my email account.  no go.  I'm absolutely positive the email and password was correct.

Somehow, Tbird then skipped over this confirmation stage the next time.  By this time I had read here NOT to provide the password until AFTER the confirmation.  Good advice - but too late.

I have now removed it twice from the laptop, and reinstalled it twice.  I cannot get back to the "confirmation" page that I saw at first (and which I suspect is STILL causing the problem).

I've also tried SENDING a test email, but get the message " login to server smtp.aol.com with username XXXX failed."

Any advice?

I'm honestly having a hard time believing that Tbird is STILL having these type of problems, logging me in to a standard AOL account.  Have been screwing around with this, on and off, for two days now.

Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

PeterSharpe
Making moves

I have been having this problem for weeks, if not months. I reported it on Bugzilla (although I can't remember how) and my report was dismissed and closed because I hadn't upgraded to version 115. I had no idea that I had to, or even how to, as all previous updated had been carried out whether I liked it or not.

Every time I switch on my PC in the morning and open Thunderbird I get the message, "Login to server imap.secureserver.net with username xxxx@xxxxxxxx.co.uk failed". 

So I upgraded manually when I worked out how to do it and absolutely nothing has changed.

PeterSharpe
Making moves

I have been having this problem for weeks, if not months. I reported it on Bugzilla (although I can't remember how) and my report was dismissed and closed because I hadn't upgraded to version 115. I had no idea that I had to, or even how to, as all previous updated had been carried out whether I liked it or not.

Every time I switch on my PC in the morning and open Thunderbird I get the message, "Login to server imap.secureserver.net with username xxxx@xxxxxxxx.co.uk failed". 

So I upgraded manually when I worked out how to do it and absolutely nothing has changed.

p.s. Is there any way to alter this dreadful new font in Thunderbird? The bold headings are an eyesore and the entire look is like something from Windows 3.0. Please do something because it looks amateurish and horrible.