cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Automatic checking and download Update

reddotmozillar
Making moves

When it comes to the browser, the most important thing is speed and control right?

As with Chrome, I can start up very quickly, browse the web very quickly, can turn off automatic updates with a few tricks.

But not with Firefox, FF boots slowly, browsing is extremely laggy, I have to have a hard time typing these words because I have to wait for FF. And the simple reason is that Fireox update is running in the background!

Although I tried with all my might, from setting in Firefox settings, to renaming Updater.exe, and changing Updater.ini, and removing FF update from Schedule Task.

But all still does not prevent FF from automatically checking for updates and causing lag and slowness. (and I can only prevent FF from automatically downloading updates)

I regret giving FF a second chance. My experience is like hell when I just type a few simple lines on FF, FF is so bad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey! I just come back here to say I successfully disable FF Update by doing both 2 methods (Registry change & Policies.json)
https://superuser.com/questions/1325421/how-to-stop-firefox-update-notifications

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Making moves

The update preferences are a massive weak spot and very annoying.

Promting hourly to install a new Major version without an easy option to inhibit or modify this behavior is a very bad user experience!

This is a long existing problem und imho stems probably from a desire to take control over the behavior of the users.

FF106.05 OSX10.15.7

Hey! I just come back here to say I successfully disable FF Update by doing both 2 methods (Registry change & Policies.json)
https://superuser.com/questions/1325421/how-to-stop-firefox-update-notifications

I'm sorry, but having to change the registry just to get FF to start faster is lame. If it isn't fixed soon, FF will lose me as a 14 year user since Chrome starts fast AND gets updated.

rft5
Making moves

To disable automatic checking and downloading updates, you can adjust the settings in your device's update preferences. check how to