cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish performance of 121.0.1; compatibility

wcm190327
Making moves

I've used Firefox happily for decades, but lately find that the browser is behaving poorly. It either misses mouse clicks or responds so slowly that I think a click has been missed. This is not a uniform behavior. I don't have any hints of system causes. I also receive "Network Protocol" errors.

My only extension is Roboform, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I am logged in there or not. I generally have fewer than three tabs open and there are no unusual apps competing. When I switch to Edge (yikes), performance immediately improves. Even if I have only four tabs open, I find 17 Firefox tasks when I look at Task Manager.

My system is Windows 11 running on a Dell Precision 7750, 32 GB, I7 (64 bit), 2.3 GHz.

I've also encountered a few sites that fail to work with Firefox, but work fine with Edge. (Sorry, I haven't been logging examples, but it's mostly with forms.)

If this doesn't improve, I might be driven to Edge permanently.

6 REPLIES 6

Boobieta
Familiar face

Hi, what would be an example of a site where you have issues? When it fails to work, what error does it give? No error? One thing that could help is opening developer tools with F12, and checking for errors there. Refresh the page and see if anything comes up. Also could try disabling the extension, because even if you are not using it, the extension is embeded with the browser, and can infact cause issues like that. Let us know if it improved with the extension disabled. Best regards

I've done a little more investigating. Problem occurs after I read a CNN article. When I click the browser's back arrow, the return to CNN's home page sometimes requires a second click on the back arrow. It is not a matter of slowness or my impatience, but rather it appears that the first back-arrow click is lost and the return will not occur until the second click. I'd say that this occurs on between 1/10 and 1/3 of the articles I read. The problem might be triggered by scrolling on the page via either the scroll bar or the keyboard. The problem doesn't appear if I just go to the article and return.

The extension seems irrelevant to the symptoms. I disabled Roboform and the odd behavior remains.

Boobieta
Familiar face

Hi, I could not replicate, have you tried creating a new profile? if you go to: about:profiles

Seems like you can create a new profile, while keeping the old, i am thinking maybe there is something corrupted or something in that profile.

What version of browser do you have? I got 121.0.1 and don't have that issue, if you don't have the version more up to date, you could try it and see if the behaviour remains.

wcm190327
Making moves

I have 121.0.1 64 bit. I'm not using a shared profile and I don't see profile in the settings menu. With it being intermittent, I'd say hardware is a problem, except it doesn't show up anywhere but with Firefox and the back arrow.

Thanks.

Boobieta
Familiar face

Certainly odd. You do have the devtools that you can open with F12, cnn.com gives a couple errors here, they show up in console. I am thinking maybe there's a specific error that causes the issue, maybe you can compare between browsing sessions and see if anything stands out when that issue happens.

You could also try the beta version or the nightly to see if it still happens, could be that there were changes in code that fixed it.

joef
Making moves

Having the same issue here -- after upgrading to 121.0.1, FF becomes noticeably more sluggish than before