cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow loading - lastest update of Mozilla Firefox has slowed all pages loading

Dracken64
Making moves

Hi,  I'm not sure about others (this is the first time I have used this forum) but I have found since the latest update that all my pages are taking a longer time to load, it has slowed down considerably, and yes I have checked internet speeds etc... - Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

diegocanda
Making moves

Same thing here. At first I thought I had a network problem, but any other device connected to my Orbi loads pages excessively well. On the same machine, I tried to load the same pages with Brave and they display within the second.

It's like Firefox waits 5 seconds or so before loading and displaying a page. But a second load is faster.

Speed tests on both Firefox and Brave give the same results... except that Firefox is slower to display the test page.

I haven't tried yet to disable the "privacy enhancing" plugins I use on Firefox. Will keep you posted...

Disabled all plugins, seemed like it was going a bit better. Then I re-enabled all my plugins today (4 in total) but everything seems to move faster nos. Can't explain it, since I had no Firefox update since... Maybe it's not Mozilla's fault after all?

melroy1989
Making moves

I'm now on version 124, I can confirm it feels a bit slow and less snappy.. Not sure what is happening lately with Firefox.

I've played a bit with Firefox settings and, in the end, I think I solved the slowness issue by completely disabling the "Enable DNS over HTTPS using:" option at the bottom of "Privacy and Security" in the settings. Looks like the secure DNS thing takes its toll on speed...
Can you try that and eventually let us know if it worked?

I was in fact using indeed Max Protection (I forgot to tell that), with a custom provider: https://doh.opendns.com/dns-query

However, like you mentioned this shouldn't have that much impact. Too bad it does have a lot of performance impact... ;( I also believe the DOM loading in general has some degradation as well. I hope Firefox is doing performance measurements between their releases.

Thanks, diegocanda! That solved the issue for me too! 

In addition I noticed one of the "features" of Enabling DNS over HTTPS using: Default Protection was that it would "Turn off when VPN, parental control, or enterprise policies are active". Therefore, I could leave the Default Protection on and use a VPN and that would also resolve the issue of the slow-loading pages...!

I just received an update to Firefox. The information regarding the update touted how Firefox has increased it speed.  Checking the speed of the three browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) on my machine, I find that Firefox is the slowest of the three. Edge is about 7% faster than Firefox. Chrome is about 26% faster than Firefox.