Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

Rabblit
Making moves

Mozilla is to me, the last bastion of the Internet against the google/apple beast. I go to it because all that it offers and I love AI not being part of it. I cannot stress how much I don't want any AI implementation. Any examples of it in other software have been, mildly speaking horsesht. I don't think this is what Firefox is missing at all.

rolingmetal
Making moves

I hate side bars, more then I dislike llm's.
When I close the chat side bar how do I get it back? There should be a button for that.
And you should probably have a look how DuckDuckGo anonymizes chat. I will never login or accept the cookies for those surveillance companies.
But I would prefer, you not add this "ai" experiment to Firefox. It serves no purpose and others can probably do it better. So I will disable this again, and start using the Vivaldi browser.

Melhadf
Making moves

See what you've done firefox, you've made me create an account to say this...

Take your "AI" and shove it using your 7 fingered hands that the "AI" generated from stolen works.

Shavie
Making moves

DO NOT

TheSteelChimera
Making moves

Using AI of any kind in Firefox is just going to present a massive security leak no matter how many assurance are made, because those privacy violations are the backbone of how AI models function. That is simply an incontrovertible fact.

The entire reason I, and many other people, are using Firefox in the first place is because this is one of the very few browsers that does not have these kinds of features forced onto us. If you add AI, in any capacity even as an "optional" tool, people will leave. As clearly evidenced by the responses above mine (and probably below lbr).

Idk much about finance, but this sounds like a very risky business decision. To gamble with losing your intended clientele..

Ssparkle
Making moves

Just adding my voice to the chorus of "No" in the slim hope that you might actually listen to us.

But in my experience, posts like this aren't actually about "getting feedback", but rather more of a release preview. I'm sure you're about to implement this regardless of what the majority of your userbase actually wants. The fact that you're ignoring the majority of the dissenting posts while replying to every comment who says they want this garbage is very telling.

I've used Firefox exclusively since 2009, and I've been a huge proponent of it on social media like Twitter and tumblr, trying to convince people to move away from Chrome specifically because Firefox was supposed to be the safer, better browser, made by a company who gave half a care about its users. You're making a liar out of me and everyone else who spoke up for you.

I will be severely disappointed if I have to figure out a new browser because you all listened to some AI tech bro nonsense and decided to implement a feature that is harmful to people's privacy and to the planet. But make no mistake: I will do so if I must. As will many more, as you can see from the response here. And without any good reason to switch from Chrome, I can't see many new users in Firefox's future.

Why would you implement something that will spell your own demise? It makes no sense.

feifiefofum
Making moves

no thanks

texyesyeehaw
Making moves

Please don't. This goes against the appeal of Firefox.

VDreamerV
Making moves

No!
No "Ai", no llm!
I do not consent to getting that useless garbage shoved in my face and I do not consent to getting my data scrapped!!
I knew your new ceo was bad news

pimento
Making moves

Please don't add ai to the browser. It really doesn't add anything useful. I use Mozilla and duck duck go to avoid google's ai shenanigans. I don't want to have to find another browser.

swier
Making moves

Please don't, I'm so tired of AI, keep firefox AI free I'm begging you!!!

We don't need this and you don't need to waste your resources on this useless crap. If you enforce it, I and many other users will definitely keep it turned off so why introduce it at all if it will remain unused by many users?

Yeetman
Making moves

I would be highly against this.

Ckurab
Making moves

No. In all sincerity, please dont.

I dont want this.

I dont need this.

I am extremely concerned about the amount of power being wasted for this.

I am extremely concerned about how much material and content from actual humans was/will be stolen to build this AI model.

If I want to hear/read something comically wrong and or nonsensical I can always go on twitter or whatever its called today.

Firefox is pretty much the last useable Browser that doesnt eat all my Ram and/or steals all my data. I really dont want to search for another one again. Please dont make me.

So, yeah, uhh...

No, I dont want any AI services.

mkero
Making moves

Please do not do this genuinely the reason you guys hadn’t added AI as a “feature” is just one of the most important reasons I use Firefox in the first place and I know so many other people feel the same way. There’s no real reason to do this, if you really want to just add a pre-linked bookmark to chatGPTs website or something. AI integration just makes the browsing experience clunkier and less enjoyable. Please rethink this idea, and if you do for some reason, please make it an entirely separate build that is its own browser. Thank you guys for the work you do to keep browsing independent and enjoyable, this is not it. 

novel
Making moves

Absolutely not. I don't want any form of ai on my browser and I would move to a new more secure one as soon as possible.

Angrylady
Making moves

No. I came here not to be bugged by ai

TheMenasaur
Making moves

get this AI **bleep** OUTTA here. i have been using firefox since my mother taught me how to use her mac in 2005. i WILL end this TWO DECADES OF USE if y'all get on the AI train, so help me god.

kaitjamieson
Making moves

Definitely no to AI. I'll be looking for a new browser if this doesn't go away.

mynahmint
Making moves

This kind of AI is useless at best and causes dangerous misinformation at worst. There is no reason for Mozilla to waste time adding this to Firefox.

epilys1
Making moves

NO. Chasing the latest "Big Tech" trend like Mozilla did with VR, Bitcoin donations (remember those?)

It's like Mozilla decisions makers live in a different world than Firefox users.

We do not want AI. We want a browser that is fast, safe and hostile to targeted advertising. That is all. Not only are you alienating your users with these decisions, but you're pushing away potential new users as well.

BakedSpoonie
Making moves

Please don’t add ai to Firefox you’re literally the last browser left that doesn’t have a bunch of ai it’s why a lot (maybe even most) users prefer Firefox. If you add this what’s left for people who have very valid ethical issues with AI? 

fl0id
Making moves

Please don't. I do realize Firefox has to experiment, and make money somehow. But I'm pretty sure, this isn't it. People who want to use LLMs, have already plenty of ways to do that. It might be different if it would be a Mozilla developed model that can be run locally, at least that would offer an advantage over existing solutions. But otherwise it just makes it just much harder to safeguard browser data and is likely opposed to other features / benefits of Firefox as a privacy friendly browser.

Sasquatch
Making moves

Please do not

hairynoodlelegs
Making moves

please don't do this

ragnvaldr
Making moves

Please do not add it at all

cathboblet
Making moves

Please don't do this. Beyond the fact that no one actually NEEDS this, you'll be contributing to toxic environmental damage and rising carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, and to lousy working conditions for the humans who work to make AI do what limited things it can do.  Don't.

Hospitalier
Making moves

I cannot begin to explain how UNinterested I am in AI anything, especially if it's tied to user control. AI has already proven itself unreliable and untrustworthy when it comes to handling information, and criminal at best when used for generation of any kind. I do not want AI to get any more information on me than it probably already has and I don't want to be made to use information on other people unwittingly. I have stopped using several things because of a sudden introduction of AI, I have no qualms leaving Firefox and finding some other browser.

GKB
Making moves

Part of why I love firefox is it DOESNT participate in the AI movement. It’s impossible to get any real information with google chrome as it’s all filtered with ai and legitimately spreading misinformation. I understand it can look good to investors to say you have ai, but I implore you for your USER BASE, do not do this.

oldmanyaoi
Making moves

Why. I've already started moving away from Windows for Copilot garbage, Twitter for Grok and the data scraping, dA for the data scraping and GAN "art" flood... What the fresh ungodly **bleep** does my browser need "AI" too when it's already getting forcefed to me by every website AND my OS? Get this shlock out of here.

anna_christina
Making moves

Everyone else has said it, but NO.  I moved to firefox to avoid the AI, tracking and privacy BS all the other browsers are doing and I'm not afraid to do it again.  AI is a waste of time and very literal energy.

stellarfield
Making moves

Absolutely not, If this is implemented I'll be searching for a new browser.

carlisle08
Making moves

The nice thing I'll say is I appreciate it being optional. However, that is it. I am not interested in utilizing "AI" being built or included with everything I own, use, or see. I think it is a endeavor that is brought upon by corporate FOMO (fear of missing out) and is a gimmick more than a tool.

I often see the benefits and features of "AI" touted about more than I do see its failures, downsides, and ethical concerns. I appreciate this discussion's commenters not shying away from those facts. Thank you.

malky_way_candy
Making moves

NO.

No no no. No. No no. No no no no no, no no. No.

No.

AI  in its current state/usage is hot garbage and completely unhelpful! Firefox users are here for the privacy control and functionality, why in the name of good common sense would y'all want to undo that?

Moonlight
Making moves

Setting aside for a second the various ethical problems with generative AI - the plagiarism, the ungodly amount of energy required to fuel it, and so forth...

...Why would I need it in a web browser? What possible functionality would it add to me going onto websites and viewing the content of them, which is the functionality I want from a web browser. I already get infinite access to people being wrong on the internet (and also deliberate disinformation) via the web without a computer 'hallucinating' at me without any way for me to figure out where it thinks its source was (if it didn't just make it up whole cloth based on the linguistic probabilities) as well. What even is the imagined use case for this?

hellice666
Making moves

Oof please do not do this

Sp00ky
Making moves

AI "features" in websites and browsers have been persistently unhelpful and intrusive. There are serious environmental concerns in the maintenance of AI infrastructure including the power usage and water consumption. There are copyright concerns with training data, there are concerns about hallucination and misinformation. The technology is not at a point where it is useful and I would personally greatly appreciate it not coming to a browser I started using in part to specifically avoid this kind of thing that's happening to other browsers.

rp587
Making moves

absolutely not please and thank you

Novastella
Making moves

Since it seems like my reply has been deleted, I'm posting it again. Do not implement AI.

Even if this reply gets deleted as well, I will come back and stand for this position. I do Not want AI in this browser. I do not Need AI in this browser. I do Not want to unwillingly held complicit in the damage that it contributes to the environment, to creative peoples' work, to the downfall of critical thinking.

I do not want AI in this browser. Full stop.

hungryhippo
Making moves

Please don’t. I use Firefox exactly because it is free of AI and thus massive waste of resources, intellectual property theft, etc etc. I will stop using Firefox if any AI features are implemented as this is completely against the original idea.

AnndeRainer
Making moves

No thank you (/negative)