Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

Magess
Making moves

Did any users ask for this or did a product manager experience some FOMO.

GenAI is unethical from the outset, unreliable in application, and unprofitable at the end of the day. Might as well integrate NFTs.

Vaultedvagabond
Making moves

Please dont. Ai is so bad for the environment and is based on stealing. I use firefoc because its more ethical and with less bull**bleep** than chrome. Please dont ad highly unethical bull**bleep** to firefox

Aleph
Making moves

PLEASE don't. This spits in the face of every user of firefox. Firefox is supposed to be the safe privacy browser. All of these systems are built on theft of the entire internet, and the  theft of info & speech pattern from everyone that uses them. 

^^^^ exactly. as soon as a service starts investing in AI, they start using their own users' data to train it

Sibiohan
Making moves

Please please please don't put AI in firefox!

michaeljdeluca
Making moves

Please don't add generative AI to Firefox in any capacity.

As I gather is the case for many others, I've been relying on Firefox for decades and have only created an account on here to ask you not to force me to abandon it by adding generative AI.

jwallhead
Making moves

I'm at a point that I lose respect for every engine and service that adds a new gen/AI feature. I also would like to know, with full transparency, the amount of energy consumption (and therefore the environmental cost) associated with Firefox's AI services. I love firefox over chrome, but I'm willing to drop it in favour of yet another service over this to be honest.

Me too! Every company that decides to add "AI Features" ends up becoming a disaster zone of incorrect information, badly handled customer service, and blatant copyright violations and data stealing. I'm so over having this **bleep**ty robot nonsense forced on me!

curlscat
Making moves

Please don't make this part of firefox. I chose firefox as my browser because it DOESN'T add all the techbro nonsense to my experience. Ai as we know it is terrible for the environment and not helpful

prolixity
Making moves

No. Please don't add AI to Firefox.

disastermychild
Making moves

NO. Firefox is the last bastion of sanity, please don't ruin it by allowing AI to encroach. 

Anonyusssss
Making moves

Absolutely not. Keep "AI" out of this last remaining bastion of well intentioned software.

wklew
Making moves

the plagiarism and labor disruption machine that drains lakes and burns rainforests to come up with wrong answers? no thank you

edibleflowers
Making moves

Please do not add AI to Firefox. It's the only browser I fully recommend to everyone I know because its features like data safety and privacy are so good, and I've always felt like it sticks up for the user; this would be yet another, extremely saddening case of "AI" being forced on the users whether they want it or not. What would even be the use of these "AI services"? So far, I have yet to see a single hyped-up claim that "AI" will help us actually being true in any way. If anything, it's actively making the Internet worse. So, please, just don't. Don't do it.

JHeuser
Making moves

Look at the replies here, look at the ones with the most votes kudos, look at the blatant abuse of privacy and copywrite AI companies have bought and  and ask yourself if you really think you're doing the right thing.

The only ethical AI is no AI. Take it out.

mephistos
Making moves

Why can't you leave working things alone? 😞 AI RUINED google and so many other good things. It hallucinates information more often than it doesn't and instead of giving you proper answers backed up by science, it looks up the most "popular" answer or tells you what you think you want to know. (No joke I once saw an AI link a customer to a Rickroll video because it had so many links attached to it.)

If you're truly dedicated to good customer service, integrity, and functionality, for the love of all that is holy PLEASE DON'T DO IT.

Geisthander
Making moves

I suppose on top of not having a lot of love for or getting a lot of use out of generative algorithms*, I simply do not see the point of it.  Integrated search was a fine idea because it streamlined the process of connecting to a search engine, but what is gained from having a hard-coded connection to a third-party service which exists largely to give approximate answers in something approximating a human diction?  I suppose it streamlines the task of finding one of those algorithms' interfaces, but then what?

*(on top of their deleterious effect on the environment and the immoral ways in which their data is acquired [unless, I concede, your morality is "make my project seem more miraculous and important while not paying people despite how necessary their output is to my project"])

This is not like thinking "hm, how many people live in New York City", typing in "population new york city" and clicking through six pages of generated chaff (not Mozilla's fault, that) to find the wikipedia page for New York City which lists the population.  This would be wondering the same thing, asking "what is the population of new york city?" and getting a response which might inform you that Frank Population (inventor of population measurement at Mars University) recently said that the population rating of New York City was 1 Population, which is roughly equal to 350,000 people.

Of course, I know of people who find access to various generative algorithms to be invaluable to their creative processes so maybe this will be a boon to them as a particularly interesting tech toy.

But even if it were merely a toy or merely useless for any practical information-gathering use, and leaving aside the issues with how the datasets are created and the computational power necessary to generate its answers, I suppose that would be one thing.  But even if the services being used were utterly benign in their production and environmental impact (or at least no worse than any of us), there's no reason to believe it will adhere to the kinds of security and privacy standards Mozilla is known for.  No matter how private the different services might protest to be, they might well be lying (there is precedent) OR, if they are being truthful, there's no guarantee they won't flip that script later on because nobody outside of the relatively small groups of people who control it can exert meaningful agency over it.  Much like me and Mozilla, being honest.  Yet here I am anyway.

Given Mozilla's much-storied history of taking privacy concerns seriously, it's at least a little worrying to see how lackadasical the organization seems to be about all this.  It's hard not to be a little bit paranoid that Mozilla, by connecting themselves to organizations which can only exist by copying data without concerning themselves about permission, might be in on that kind of thing, too.  I'm not saying that absolutely has to be the case, but my goodness it's hard not to be at least a little anxious about it.

I understand and appreciate that this "Nightly" function is, at present, an optional feature but that kind of feature creep is a known thing and "opt-in" pretty quickly becomes "opt-out", which pretty quickly becomes "we'll only do it a little even if you tell us you don't want us to do it at all".  Slippery slope argument logical fallacy whatever, that is a trajectory we've seen many a tech organization swing and I really don't want that for Mozilla.

ariasuni
Making moves

It’s becoming increasingly hard to promote Firefox as an alternative to Chrome or other browsers, when it’s in fact driven by the same rotten corporate profit mindset.

How can anyone believe you’re still trying to live by your values when you’re featuring LLMs, a technology that’s known to be unreliable, to be responsible for the vast amount of autogenerated spam that made the web such a dump these last few years, to only exist by the exploitation of workers in other countries and by the sacrifice of resources so great it made the tech industry back on the track of making this planet unlivable for us.

You can see the distress of most people expressing themselves here, seeing that the only big browser which is supposed to be ethical is in fact going downhill in the same dystopian direction as the other big browsers.

Can Firefox embody hope again, or will this nightmare continue endlessly? Wake up before it’s too late.

ninanauni
Making moves

AI will not "improve" Firefox. It will make your browser unreliable and besieged by misinformation. Please, don't be yet another company shoving AI down its users' throats.

SnyderMan37
Making moves

Hey, respectfully, can we not?

kyradev
Making moves

Why would I want you to make Firefox worse?

Current commercial ML systems are technology that's been misused to create products that effectively just charge rent on all available human knowledge, then deliver it as a useless homogenate with nearly random contents.

If people want to not do their email job, or want to scam creative clients or the gullible, they can already use Firefox for that by using it to access one of the systems you've decided to embed into the browser like so much lead shrapnel.

Just because some of your big sponsors want you to jump on every one of their ill-conceived fads, does not mean you don't have a responsibility to your actual users.

The fact Firefox is currently the best general purpose browser is not a compliment to Mozilla, it's a grim demonstration of how dystopian our world is.

vanyok
Making moves

Great improvement, thank you for it. I've been waiting for months for Mozilla to include such a thing in Firefox.

It basically adds just a web page view in a sideboard, and some predefined prompt scripts in the pop-up menu, but that's already helpful. Side panel is to be used for exactly these kind of integrations.

I would propose to implement a possibility to add custom AI tools (same way as we add custom search engines): I would probably add myself DuckDuckGo AI chat, or Notion AI, or something else (maybe Mozilla AI when it comes). It will give more flexibility. And as it's just a separate website - should be no issues.

Thanks again and good luck!

tacorat
Making moves

no thank you

StarMoonchild
Making moves

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NOT Y'ALL TOO. DON'T DO IT. I DON'T CARE IF ITS OPTIONAL IT'S AWFUL FOR THE ENVIRONMENT AND ITS A PLAGIARISM MACHINE. STOP IT.

nicolaspadigone
Making moves

Do NOT do anything with AI in the Firefox browser. Please don't do it. Please. Leave that AI crap alone. Please.

Noirwhal
Making moves

Do not do this. AI has become a scourge on technology. I can't replace my phone, because the new models are swarming with AI. If I type more than three words into an Instagram message, I get asked if I want to use AI to reply to my friends. Mozilla has earned a reputation for being a last bastion against predatory tech companies. Do NOT throw that away chasing after AI dreams and wishes. We all see this crap for what it is, and it's already fading. And that's not even getting into how much of an environmental disaster it is. In every sense of the words, AI is not worth it. So don't. 

Semiramis
Making moves

AI has consistently failed to provide anything but a worse user experience and increasingly unreliable information across every platform and program I've encountered it on. Please don't do this.

ada1
Making moves

Absolutely no A.I. It's already made google close to useless, and it's not even good at giving summaries. It frequently gives wrong information to the point where foragers relying on it have died because A.I wrongly identified mushrooms.

Well, it's tragically comic. 

nickwedig
Making moves

Ugh. This is a terrible idea, and I'll have to look for a different web browser to use, then, one that doesn't integrate stupid and evil technology like LLMs despite their user base strongly opposing it.

aCanuck
Making moves

Don't do this. I'd hate to have to abandon Firefox for this nonsense.

jkbockstael
Making moves

I remember a time when Mozilla was a counter-power that worked hard to put people first. Remember the manifesto? Some of us do, and we are disappointed to see Mozilla jumping on yet another Silicon Valley bandwagon.

We want a non-profit that provides a privacy-first standards-first Web browser, along with information and tools to empower people so they can themselves shape the Web (that's in that manifesto you seem to have forgotten about, by the way). We want a large and strong non-profit that can save the Web and its open standards from the hands of the likes of Google or Microsoft. What we don't want is yet another pivot to "AI".

Razzle
Making moves

No. Absolutely not. Generative AI is a fat stack of wasteful, unethical garbage. I've supported Firefox for a long time but I will drop it like a flaming turd if AI gets added, and I will tell all my family and friends to do the same. I am DEEPLY disappointed in Mozilla for even considering this, aren't you guys supposed to be the privacy-focused browser?? How are you forgetting that?

mika
Making moves

Please don't. AI does nothing. It's literally just glorified applied statistics. It's redundant, if not blatantly dumb. Don't do it please.

umbrus
Making moves

I am skeptical. If there is a way to remove it and prevent any of it from being displayed, I suppose I don't actually mind that much: You're just providing access to these tools which people would use anyway. But if some box or icon still remains after turning it off, yeah, no. I have no intention of using this, and I don't want it to clutter my screen.

avidreaderetc
Making moves

Please don't. The creation of AI is **bleep**. The running of AI is **bleep**. The use of AI is **bleep**. AI is a fad that will fade, because it sucks so bad. Why do you think people use Firefox? To get away from all the **bleep** the other browsers are doing. If you want to keep your userbase and keep being a refuge for those who are fleeing from AI bull**bleep**, then keep AI out of it. Don't just jump on the bandwagon because it /seems/ good. That wagon is about to fall apart and no one actually wants to be on it anyway.

Creataria
Making moves

Don't want it. End of. I'm one of the users that actually pays for some of your services, but I don't do so for you to use implement more AI. I'll be moving away from Mozilla if this is the trend moving forward.

une4s
Making moves

AI en**bleep**tifies everything it touches. Please do not ruin the only good browser left.

caldera32
Making moves

Honestly disgusted that Mozilla would even consider going this way, especially so late in the game. Haven't you seen everyone else's "AI" causing problems for users and companies? Heard the outcry over privacy and theft? Seen the disastrous numbers for environmental impact?

I believed in Mozilla, to the point of paying for the VPN just to support you guys, and have been using Firefox almost from the start but this will make me switch if it comes to fruition.

Kolyenka
Making moves

DO NOT.