Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,149 REPLIES 3,149

mwiser
Making moves

I will switch to another browser if you force this on us.

kbneal
Making moves

Oh for the love of god can you just not.

vani
Making moves

Nice way to kill the browser and make it even LESS optimal to most machines. Is there anything the user is TRULY going to benefit with any of those additions? Or is this addition that literally no one asked for, just to appease to whatever weird AI company is probably giving you guys money?

Stonehippo
Making moves

Please don't do this. There's not a lot I want from a browse beyond competent loading of web pages. I don't need a lot of "advanced" ML or automation in the browser I use. Don't bloat Firefox with features we don't need. 

yesmissjane
Making moves

noooooooooooooooo! please do not further enable the plagiarism/eco disaster machine!!!

ezekielbones
Making moves

I just installed the firefox web browser after more than a half a decade of not using it. if you add AI cludge, even optionally, I will uninstall it. If all you're offering is the same useless, wasteful, creepy, "AI" bullsh*t as the bigger web browsers I might as well just go with them.

amyers
Making moves

Please read the room 

nkh
Making moves

I have strong negative feelings towards this feature, and based on the replies to this post, it seems many others share similar feelings.

I believe that Mozilla tries to act in the best interest of its users, so you must have a good reason for this addition. So, I'd like to know the reason that you're working on it. Specifically, there are two estimates I want to know:
What is the percent of current users who want this feature?
How many users will Firefox gain over some period of time because of this feature?
I realize that the sample of the Firefox community that interacted with this post is not a random one and is probably biased, so I have no idea what these figures may be, but I assume you do.

For people who value their privacy and want to chat with an LLM can already use DuckDuckGo AI Chat. I say this because it seems to me like you're re-inventing the wheel (but making a worse one!) with this feature.

Furthermore, this seems out-of-scope for a browser.

I'd have to switch browsers if I couldn't disable it completely, so please keep it opt-in or at the very least opt-out, because I love Firefox and I don't want to switch.

MonFal
Making moves

would really prefer if you didn't

heyjeffreymoore
Making moves

I think just generally speaking, I recommend Firefox to everyone for two main reasons: no bloat, and high security/privacy. Like, Mozilla putting privacy as a top priority means a lot to me and has built up my trust in Firefox for years.

Adding even the option to turn on a tool that is anathema to privacy, right in the browser, is enough that I would never recommend the browser to a novice again.

Why? Because a novice can't understand how dangerous enabling AI in their browser could be. It sounds fun. It isn't safe. A novice can't easily understand that.

I get trying to attract a bigger market share with today's youth being more and more dependent on AI services, but this isn't the way. This can't be the way for an organization that has always always put the safety and privacy of its users first.

Please kill this before it gets any traction. This isn't you.

angecalhe
Making moves

No, for the love of anything, Firefox is the only real browser left and the only one I use for this very reason. No AI here!

Dean1
Making moves

No. If Firefox starts using AI features, I'll find another browser.

eselle28
Making moves

No. Please don't. The other browsers are all contaminated with this bull**bleep**, and Firefox was one of the few places where users didn't have to worry about it creeping into their browsing. It's hard to trust that something so unethical will stay opt in only and corralled off from the rest of our services and data.

Roy_DCM
Making moves

I've been using Firefox for 20 years, and I despise AI. It is nothing but trouble. Most NFTs were created by AI. There are countless reports about how this version of AI is unsustainable.

Do yourself a Favor, avoid the embarrassment - do not implement AI features.

HorseCage
Making moves

I don't want or need access to a garbage, plagiarising, environmentally disastrous fad

prismatic
Making moves

I have been using Firefox since it first started and AI integration is both the thing that would philosophically stop me using it and recommending it to other people. There is some place for the tools that AI brings to this world such as some proven uses in medicine but ChatGPT is not one of them - it's also based on theft to enrich people already rich and it's really, really bad for the environment, too.

I am very disappointed that you're even trialing this, let people who insist on using AI make their own addons and don't make the browser laggier for the rest of us!

anon789
Making moves

Please no.

gavingrant
Making moves

Hi, please do not do this. AI is a climate warming disaster and I want no part in it here or anywhere else.

Carrie7
Making moves

NO it's a pox on technology and should be shunned by you and every other tech entity.

Kazard
Making moves

Hey, don't.

SeraphRDM
Making moves

Absolutely NOT. No one asked for this. Please stop shoe-horning AI into every bloody thing, thank you.

IamJoseph
Making moves

One thing I like about you is you're not creeps with my data

If you're using ai you have to be scrutinizing my input which means you're being creeps with my data

I'll stop using Mozilla if you bring in AI

ClumsyMinty
Making moves

People are finally picking Firefox over Chrome because of LLMs. LLMs are garbage, work like garbage and should not be integrated into everything, AI is good at very specific and very niche tasks. Firefox has an opportunity to market as the browser option with no LLM garbage, the browser for sensible people who just want to access websites and search. If Firefox adds LLM features, it's just following Edge and Chrome, there's nothing to differentiate Firefox from it's competition. By shunning AI features, Firefox can present itself as the browser for the Anti-AI crowd, which is already a majority of consumers in Europe and North America. Focus on useful things like improving performance and power efficiency for laptops or tab docking or other features that users have been requesting for years.

maeamian
Making moves

Are you **bleep**ing serious? Absolutely not. Remove it and never try this **bleep** again.

kalle_katt
Making moves

No

Maferep
Making moves

Genuine question,trying to be fair here: Why would anyone want this to be built into Firefox?

For context, AI is already built into most widely used mainstream services. In Google, your default search engine, it can't even be turned off. Even if the user likes AI it's completely redundant to make Firefox a part of it and just adds bloat.

AbandonedRocket
Making moves

I echo all the other sentiments here that embracing this is bad form from the folks who make the only browser that I like.

I made my profile here just to post this. I do not want this to be in Firefox, plain and simple.

Also, if the money people are watching this thread, I've been considering Mozilla VPN now that I have the means to pay for such a service.

I'm going to consider other options for the time being.

Check out mullvad! Doesn't get much more private than them.

qu1j0t3
Making moves

I won't use Firefox if it incorporates 'ai' junk. You should take a firm stand against it and assist users in blocking and finding alternatives to any 'ai' products (e.g. google search). This is the way to increase your adoption.

Aelfgifu1
Making moves

Stop forcing garbage AI on people. It doesn't work and no one wants it.

NyxieNeon
Making moves

DO NOT.

I do not know what the "4th Option" is for browsers currently but if you do this I will be switching.

SquirrelGirl
Making moves

I've been using Firefox since the early days and have stuck with it, even as companies like Google have undermined it by making it difficult to use with their products

I'm concerned that this LLM "AI" integration will mean I have to switch away from Firefox, as I've seen the real harm these models are doing to workers' rights, to information on the web, and to the environment

"AI" as we are calling these models is causing real precarity for so many creative people, and I would like Mozilla to abandon these plans, thank you

ProfCookie
Making moves

No please no!

blahpers
Making moves

Do not do this.

Users do not want it.  Many will drop Mozilla completely.  A significant number will go out of their way to discourage others from using Firefox and other Mozilla programs as well.

Note that I don't even have to get into the pros/cons of genAI to evaluate this—just the loss of user sentiment would be catastrophic.

Just don't

Drewbahr
Making moves

Absolutely not. I don't want, and never wanted, any of this AI garbage in my browser. Please, don't fall down the **bleep**hole with everyone else.

dirkhh
Making moves

Just don't.

Seriously. No.

Not needed, not wanted.

mgrobol
Making moves

As a firefox user since 1.0, a nightly tester since before it was called nightly and a researcher in NLP: please don't.

dfarn
Making moves

NO.

I do NOT want this.  Generative AI is an energy hog built on massive plagiarism and copyright violation.  You do not need it, your users do not want it, and you should stop trying to make it happen.