Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your feedback on the AI services experiment in Nightly

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks, 

In the next few days, we will start the Nightly experiment which provides easy access to AI services from the sidebar. This functionality is entirely optional, and it’s there to see if it’s a helpful addition to Firefox. It is not built into any core functionality and needs to be turned on by you to see it. 

If you want to try the experiment, activate it via Nightly Settings > Firefox Labs (please see full instructions here). 

We’d love to hear your feedback once you try out the feature, and we’re open to all your ideas and thoughts, whether it’s small tweaks to the current experience or big, creative suggestions that could boost your productivity and make accessing your favorite tools and services in Firefox even easier.

Thanks so much for helping us improve Firefox!

3,148 REPLIES 3,148

BlazeHedgehog
Making moves

I am of the hard "no, please no" camp on this one. I am increasingly tired of tech companies getting spooked by the idea that they're being "left behind" in the latest and greatest snake oil campaign. Just like how crypto had "legitimate use cases" people are saying AI has "legitimate use cases" but making reading comprehension worse and distributing misinformation is not something I'd particularly like in my web browser.

Much like how Firefox has pushed what I would consider industry-leading privacy features, and a dedication to an open and robust addon platform, I would like it if Firefox did the truly smart thing and shunned AI integration altogether. This garbage is already going to be built into Windows at the operating system level eventually anyway, so why bother to overflow the dumpster with two layers of it?

Just say no to AI.

Osmose
Making moves

As a Firefox user for 20 years and a Mozilla employee for 7 years, I strongly oppose the inclusion of these AI services into Firefox and will not use them. LLMs by design have ethical and environmental issues that using open source models or models running on device cannot fix.

AqueousAblution
Making moves

Others have already made much more verbose and thoughtful arguments against the inclusion of AI in Firefox, so I'll just say this:

This whole thing stinks of trend-chasing and Kool-Aid-drinking. Firefox is one of the few good browser left, please don't ruin it. I don't want to have to move to yet another browser after having ditched Chrome for its BS, but I will if this makes it into a stable release of FF.

novameow
Making moves

Ignoring the fact that this type of AI will never be useful for anyone, and that very few people actually want to use it, especially not firefox's primary userbase, do you earnestly think that it is a good business decision to invest in an economic bubble that is on the verge of popping? OpenAI is currently considering raising their prices, that should be all the evidence you need that this is, at the very least, a terrible idea.

MozillaWhyAI
Making moves

Please for the love of god no why would AI even be desired, are all your posts in this thread just AI hallucinations?

grumpy-
Making moves

no thank you, please stop making firefox worse. it's barely the last good web browser and the last thing we need is lake boiling liar machines to take it off that crumbling podium.

SWTZR
Making moves

Please do not add AI services to Firefox. They have a clear track record of being scraped without permission, ignoring robots.txt, actively circumventing IP blocks and hallucinating dangerously wrong information. This is not a thing to be endorsing.

tyreforhyred
Making moves

i do not and will not use AI and the continued pushing for a provably worse source of information is a waste of everyone's time and energy.

hewhoispale
Making moves

Bringing this AI nonsense to Firefox is actively driving me to seek another browser to use instead. If I wanted to use a browser made by an ad company that was cramming AI slop into the "experience", I'd still be using Chrome.

jdarkside
Making moves

Please don't do this. People use Firefox because it's one of the only alternatives to the awful and violating chrome sphere, and embracing AI grifting nonsense and the inherent lack of care this technology has for the work of others is just showing everyone you have no idea what your actual user base uses your browser for. You're basically doing the sort of stuff Google does that people who use your browser want to escape.

Entropic_Decay
Making moves

Respectfully, I do not want AI touching this browser in any way. If this gets pushed I'm jumping ship to a fork without it. Plagiarism Engines can take a short hike off a long drop as far as I am concerned.

Krane
Making moves

Oh no, please for the love of god do not inject this AI chatbot/image generation garbage into Firefox. It is clear that the overwhelming majority in here does not want any of these 'features'.

If you are misguided enough to go against everything firefox stands for and pursue this, keep it as a completely separate extension and not something that comes bundled with firefox. 

God I despise this AI garbage.

pranefuji
Making moves

AI is a financial liability, pending a bubble bursting upon the wide range of lawsuits around various industries that have embraced it. It has dramatically decreased users experience of using the web. It is a security risk and vulnerbility. It's use has significantly harmed numerous brands. These are not secrets. Do not integrate ai with mozilla.

pommicket
Making moves

I hate this.

synthesisDreame
Making moves

Please steer clear of LLMs and machine learning for the time being, there are countless ethical, legal, logistical, and even just basic business issues that I have yet to see any company touting AI services manage to resolve in a remotely decent manner.

SenshellShark
Making moves

I have a lot of doubts that this would be very useful. LLMs still have a lot to prove in many respects of reliability, insight, energy usage, context awareness. This feature would be a mere gimmick against other features more conventionally developed and ran.

lunarfox22
Making moves

Any AI features that Firefox rolls out I will disable. If I cannot disable the features, I will install an older version of Firefox that does not have those features and disable updates. I will sooner fork Firefox and maintain it myself then use a browser where these features are present.

Generative AI features like Chat GPT and image/audio/video generation are a bane on the modern internet, these products are blatant and obvious scams, and they are built on rampant theft, and it is a waste of time and resources to even bother integrating them into the browser when they will need to be depreciated in a couple of years when this obvious snake oil falls in on itself.

deathkitten
Making moves

Wow. I just love how you're dismissing peoples' concerns about how these companies are ethically dubious at best, focusing on how they're supposedly protecting the end users privacy (for now) without any acknowledgement of the unethical manner in which these companies vacuum up data from people without their consent.

We use Firefox because it was the better browser, and right now Google is literally squashing ad-blocking (something that is both an accessibility need for people with ADHD *and* a digital safety need given how much spyware gets past Google's lack of filters in their ad services) and yet, Mozilla and Firefox are squandering the ability to fortify themselves as the safer and more user friendly option by baking AI garbage directly into the browser instead of leaving it as an extension if it's available at all.

I have been a long time Firefox user, and I'm scared that there doesn't appear to be any alternatives left out there other than you or Chrome (or Chrome based reskins). It's down right disgusting how much you do not care about your ethical footprint by bringing this garbage into your browser.

gregdotexe
Making moves

Absolutely not. Keep the AI garbage out of the core product. Ease of acess can be obtained through extensions if desired.

I want nothing to do with this, and will abandon firefox entirely if this make it to main.

ThomCote
Making moves

I switched from Chrome to Firefox because I didn't want to support Google's privacy nightmares and zealous development of LLM tech with no regard for the privacy or ownership of the writers, artists, and coders whose creations it scrapes and regurgitates indiscriminately. If Mozilla also chases the LLM trend, why should I stick with Firefox?

Mpotat
Making moves

No

echoparallax
Making moves

Extremely against this. From experience talking with my friends who haven't switched away from Chrome, if Firefox had LLM chatbots integrated, they'd have even less of a reason to switch to Firefox. Firefox should stand for the open and independent Web — not to promote web scrapers that ultimately replace it with a slurry of plagiarized content their models produce.

(Standard disclaimer: opinions and views expressed are my own.)

AdorableSergal
Making moves

Please stop trying to make AI a thing. The whole thing is dead on arrival.

eevee
Making moves

i've been here since phoenix and i gotta say, these last few years, i'm getting exhausted with going to bat for mozilla only to turn around and hear about another incredibly dubious decision being made a couple weeks later.

this is, primarily, a website in a sidebar.  i don't see why firefox needs to give special treatment to a handful of websites in this way.  the articles about this feature include a lot of fluff about preserving user choice, as if firefox were not already capable of loading any chatbot website you please.  they then harp about "responsible AI" while listing openai and google as the primary sources.  this feels like it must surely be an elaborate prank.

mozilla is making a political statement here: that it backs a technology that generates generic amalgum, convincing but completely fabricated details, and other kinds of verbal slurry.  that it thinks encouraging people to use a technology that helps produce buggier code, faulty summaries of prose, incorrect explanations of css syntax (ahem), etc., will somehow improve the web.  that it's glad to help push forward a desperate bet by billion-dollar megacorps in need of a win.  i must have missed when these things became mozilla's mission.

people who want to use a chatbot are already free to do so.  they seem to be getting increasingly hard to avoid, in fact!  they're in operating systems and phones and office suites and god knows what else.  i'm sure by this time next year i won't be able to buy a refrigerator without an LLM built in.  those people are already spoiled for choice.  what i would like is a reprieve from the lie machine.

vertenflow
Making moves

This is not a good feature to have in a browser even if it is optional. Please do not include in Firefox.

Linker
Making moves

I think this is really quite short-sighted, and could have devastating repercussions for Mozilla and Firefox in general. The main reason I've been using Firefox specifically is in the (apparently vain) hope that I could avoid the needless integration of AI into my day to day internet browsing. AI/LLMs as they currently stand have a myriad of ethical issues, from the legality of their information acquisition/scraping to the current push to disenfranchise and undermine many arts industries wholesale. And that's not to mention the devastating environmental impacts. Buying into the latest tech bubble will, I think, win you few points from those who consistently use your platform and tools. Please, do not do this. If I have to put up with AI, I might as well just jump ship to a Chrome-like browser and be done with it.

ProfBV
Making moves

As a Firefox user, I don't agree with the presence of any sort of generative AI in the browser or promoted via the browser, even if it's optional on the user end. Please discontinue this feature.

jannuary
Making moves

No, thanks

JDHarper
Making moves

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of people who specifically *do not want* AI to be integrated into Firefox. I do not want my data transmitted to or parsed by any large language model owned by any corporation, non-profit, or government entity. I do not need or want a chatbot in my browser that can give me statistically average sentences. This stuff is radioactive, please keep it out of my favorite browser.

mogwaipoet
Making moves

There is exactly one reason to use Firefox instead of Chrome, which is that Mozilla is a nonprofit that doesn't act/think like a tech company. Stop mindlessly following trends like a tech company would, or you will lose your only user demographic.

blakestacey
Making moves

What is this doing in my web browser? Get it away.

PleaseMozilla
Making moves

No. Please, no.  When I heard of Mozilla implementing A.I, I was hopeful it would be limited to only a local LLM, summarizing webpage content without sending any data externally.  But, of course once agian my rose tinted glasses mislead me. This is the stuff that not-so-ideal browsers do such as Opera and Chrome. As a Firefox user I have little interest in A.I, despite using it, I want my browser to be a good private alternative to the likes of Chrome. I believe other Firefox users want this too. And yet I see Mozilla making choices that resonate with an oppositional interest, that slowly turning away from privacy. This unsettles me and I worry for the future of Firefox.

PS: While you're at it why not add some sort of NFT trading into it, are we getting a MozillaCoin next?

0x4d6165
Making moves

This is stupid and there's not even an option to use a local LLM. This feels like an advertisement. Get this out of my browser.

Raptor85
Making moves

I like the integration, though I have to say the method currently of adding additional providers leaves a lot to be desired, I'm not a fan of it only pushing a handful of services without even a button for "custom" which most plugins for other software provide. (works fine from about:config but that shouldn't be a primary way of doing this)

My big fear though is that firefox is heading the way of original mozilla at this point and too many things that should be plugins or extensions becoming part of the core project, wasn't the entire point of starting firefox and mothballing mozilla to start over and keep it focused on browser only?

Argent
Making moves

Absolutely not, and if you go through with this I have to look for another browser... again.

Espiox
Making moves

Absolutely not, I switched back to Firefox to avoid the AI garbage that’s permeated Chrome/Edge.

AndyDroid10X
Making moves

Very nice feature. Wish there could be a function to send the whole page text, not only the selection. If the text exceeds token limit, it could divide the text and send a prompt like "I will send the source which consists of X pages. Page 1:..."

drmelon
Making moves

not now, not ever. don't.

ostava
Making moves

My feedback is you bought an express ticket out of my devices by adding this. I'm done with you. Done.

ArthurPerkins
Making moves

I migrated to Firefox due to the lack of AI integration. If it is added, I will migrate to another browser.