cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please, firefox, I'm begging you to stop making me restart my browser every day for updates!

thegoodgolly
Making moves

I've seen this discussed for a few years but I've already exhausted the fixes yet it still persists! I get it, some updates are important, but I use Firefox for my job! I'm a software developer, and I have tons of pinned tabs for anything from keeping up with pull requests to relevant articles to stack overflow links that I need for my current task. I get that it needs an update EVENTUALLY, but this is happening every other day or more, even after I turned off the automatic updates setting! Just now, I lost all of my tabs since I could no longer open tabs without being told to restart and despite the browser saying they'd be saved, they didn't. I defend Firefox constantly, and have a burning vendetta against Chrome, but this is getting in the way of my work! I've had entire sessions of testing interrupted by a sudden update, and this has caused me awkward encounters during meetings I've been running as despite the page PREVIOUSLY being ready to go for a short presentation, suddenly it needs to be shut down and restarted (and thankfully in the instances that this has happened, the tabs actually came back up, but it's uncomfortable as heck to have to apologize because this is happening so frequently and I think I'm about two more events away from being told I need to switch browsers permanently).

Just... please, I've scoured the settings to see if there's anything I'm missing, even in about:config, yet it's all set to false where indicated. Is my only solution to set the update interval to some ridiculously high number so it stops bothering me? Is there an actual reason this hasn't been better addressed when it's a problem that seems to have always been around?

4 REPLIES 4

jscher2000
Leader

What OS?

On Windows, selecting "Check for updates but let you choose to install them" on Firefox's Settings page, and snoozing the notice about a new version every 12 hours has worked for me since forever (although I seldom snooze more than 3 days). Note: making this change updates a hidden config file outside your profile, and the legacy setting in about:config is not used.

Edit

By the way, you should not lose tabs when you restart Firefox unless you have it set to clear your browsing history when it closes, or you are using private windows. You may want to post that problem on the Mozilla Support site. They have a team of support volunteers to troubleshoot malfunctions with your currently installed version of Firefox, while this site is focused on idea submissions for future versions of Firefox (looking ahead anywhere from 8 weeks to many months). Here's a link to the new question form (for Windows/Mac/Linux): https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ

Isn't this the Mozilla Support site? It's the "Discussions" site, which is what the Community site usually is, so I don't know what's going on. I clicked on Community, and didn't see anything resembling a forum. Did they change everything up in the last few months, as I used to come and use it regularly....

StevenCee
Making moves

I hear ya! I just had three updates hit in just the last hour or so, this is ridiculous!  I can't believe this hasn't yet been addressed by their developers, as it's nuts having to stop and refresh this browser multiple times a day, or even once a day! When it happened today, I thought it must be some glitch happening.

LucaYesLuca
Making moves

I have switched to Safari just because of this.  Enough of these "would you like to download updates" in the middle of work.