cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla needs to bring back optional updates, and update notifications

Bguss72
Making moves

Firefox used to be my go to back in the day, then it started going downhill.  One being, forced updates.  Then it turned to "optional" updates.  But if you don't update, it's incessantly reminds to update.  And with Firefox constantly having updates, it gets pretty annoying.  I will update.  Then a day or two later, another update.  Most updates for me don't make a difference in my day to day. While some updates made things worse.  So my rule of thumb is, I don't update unless I had to.  And I shouldn't be bagered to keep updating.  This doesn't hurt Mozilla.  If anything it would hurt me.  But that is my choice to make.

I'm now considering going back to Chrome, they at least don't annoy me in having to keep updating.  And since the last 3 updates on Firefox, I've found it slower now.  Like I said, downhill.  They should at least make it less annoying to use.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

All updates contain security fixes. Pausing them would mean taking the risk of getting your devices hacked and your data stolen.

If you want fewer updates containing new features and GUI changes, switch to Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR).

It's users that will be affected of security issues. But that's there cross to bear.  If I don't want to update, I should have to.  Firefox may not update.  But I shouldn't have to be incessently reminded to update.  Think kids in the backseat asking, "Are we there yet?" for the next 6 hours.  Annoying.  Again, Firefox used to have an option not to update, and we never got constant reminders.  Why do we now?  Just turn the notification off.  It's that simple.  When we are ready to update, we will update.

Why use the ESR version of Firefox?  I'm not opposed to updates.  I'm opposed to getting constant, annoying reminders, if I choose not to update.  Keep making updates.  But if I decline, don't pester me with them.  If I use ESR version, it doesn't have all the features of the regular version.  Just stop the reminders.

Sorry I have the ESR version were update expect twice and year but more like every two weeks and yes Firefox is taking 5 to 10 second to start on the last 6 updates; and so Firefox is updating faster that the App developer cannot keep up; which is yes it is no sense to update more than every 3 months. Chrome is much faster that Firefox now and I have the same extensions for both.

I tested the extension and the Adblock Plus, Adblock Ulitimate are the two main extensions
now slow Firefox down; but five version ago; this was not a problem; only thing that has changed is the updated to Firefox since guessing 10 version ago? Yes Firefox is getting worse.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

For information purposes
Since the release of https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/63.0/releasenotes

The option to Never check for updates was removed from about:preferences. You can use the DisableAppUpdate enterprise policy as a substitute.

DisableAppUpdate https://mozilla.github.io/policy-templates/#disableappupdate
Take a look at https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/forced-restart/m-p/48809/highlight/true#M17509

I do not know how to use Enterprise policy and I will be switching to Chrome by September 2024 if Firefox does not slow updates; I do not have the time to waste of a product that is not user friendly; allow the user to decide when to update; and stop moving the setting around. Firefox is wasting to much my time to use.

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

{
  "policies": {
    "DisableAppUpdate": true
  }
}

Other illustration Option 1: Disable Updates using Enterprise Policy JSON
https://www.youtube.com/embed/wiWZOm_UX30

Topaz
Making moves

I find it particularly annoying if Firefox incessantly (harassingly) prompts for updates which won't work for me, like the latest 128.0.3 version, with uses all my RAM and takes decades to load.
I don't have the time to test which of the numerous add-ons I am using slows down firefox, and using the browser without the add-ons bothers me.
Firefox, either prompt me for a stable version, or leave it!