cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mozilla needs to bring back optional updates, and update notifications

Bguss72
Making moves

Firefox used to be my go to back in the day, then it started going downhill.  One being, forced updates.  Then it turned to "optional" updates.  But if you don't update, it's incessantly reminds to update.  And with Firefox constantly having updates, it gets pretty annoying.  I will update.  Then a day or two later, another update.  Most updates for me don't make a difference in my day to day. While some updates made things worse.  So my rule of thumb is, I don't update unless I had to.  And I shouldn't be bagered to keep updating.  This doesn't hurt Mozilla.  If anything it would hurt me.  But that is my choice to make.

I'm now considering going back to Chrome, they at least don't annoy me in having to keep updating.  And since the last 3 updates on Firefox, I've found it slower now.  Like I said, downhill.  They should at least make it less annoying to use.

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

All updates contain security fixes. Pausing them would mean taking the risk of getting your devices hacked and your data stolen.

If you want fewer updates containing new features and GUI changes, switch to Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR).

It's users that will be affected of security issues. But that's there cross to bear.  If I don't want to update, I should have to.  Firefox may not update.  But I shouldn't have to be incessently reminded to update.  Think kids in the backseat asking, "Are we there yet?" for the next 6 hours.  Annoying.  Again, Firefox used to have an option not to update, and we never got constant reminders.  Why do we now?  Just turn the notification off.  It's that simple.  When we are ready to update, we will update.

Why use the ESR version of Firefox?  I'm not opposed to updates.  I'm opposed to getting constant, annoying reminders, if I choose not to update.  Keep making updates.  But if I decline, don't pester me with them.  If I use ESR version, it doesn't have all the features of the regular version.  Just stop the reminders.