cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas vs Discussions

CubeOfCheese
Making moves

I just submitted an Idea but I don't see it listed. Does it have to get approved? What is the difference between an Idea and a Discussion if they both provide feedback?

16 REPLIES 16

CubeOfCheese
Making moves

Hm seems like an Idea is just a Discussion that you can't reply to. Not sure what the point to that is. (Not trying to be mean, just trying to provide feedback on this brand new system)

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey! Ideas have to be pre-moderated first before being visible to the community. This is to make sure it's not a bug report or request for product support (those will be routed to the proper channels). And yes, Ideas are open to replies and votes (kudos).

Oyaji
Making moves

I recently  submitted an idea , that is mostly a bug report issue. But i think it might benefit that others see it . Will it be published , or just sent of to bugzilla ? If it gets sent to bugzilla will i be notified ?  Also , if it's the case that the moderators will be choosing what goes where. Why not have a separate option other than " New idea ". For example have 3 options.

New Idea, Bug Report ,  Both/Not Sure.  I think that would pre-sort most of your work .

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

As stated in the Ideas Guidelines , if it's a bug report, we direct users to submit the report to Bugzilla so our teams there can address it. So while your post won't be marked as a "new idea" here, it will be marked as "closed" but still visible. But if it's a feature request or an idea that you believe could solve a common pain point, then this is the right forum. 

I do like the idea though of maybe adding a bug report tag to anything that moderators identify as such. Something we will definitely consider as we figure out the best workflow. 

ikpjr
Making moves

Does the 24 to 48 hour rule applies also to discussion replies?

Because I commented on a discussion thread and can't see it there.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great question! Discussion posts and replies are automatically posted to the community, then moderated after (only if needed). This is to keep the discussions as active and real-time as possible, while also making sure we reroute any bug reports or support requests to the proper channels.

ikpjr
Making moves

Then why I don't see my reply there? Was it moderated because I'm a new user on this site and that was my first reply here on mozilla connect?

I can see in my profile that I have the correct number of replies, however that reply is nowhere to be seen. Should I reply again?

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yea, if the thread is still there, your reply should also be there. Try replying again and I'll keep an eye out to make sure it goes through okay.

ikpjr
Making moves

First time when I submitted, the reply appeared on the page followed the count of the following posts and the posts themselves.

Then I had made a minor edit, posted the update and reloaded the page and it was then gone.

Now my 2nd reply appears and I've reloaded the page but now I'm expecting that if I need to edit it, it won't disappear again.

I'll see that, but for the moment thanks for your help.

ikpjr
Making moves

My comment on an idea is vanishing all the time(it doesn't post or appear on either "waiting for approval" unmoderated or rejected items). What's going on?

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your comment can be found here. Is this the one you're referring to? Just want to make sure we're not missing anything. Thanks for the heads up! 

ikpjr
Making moves

I've seen it and then I went to edit and post it and a green banner appeared with text "Your post will appear as soon as it is approved." and link: Click to view the status of your post.

The link above to unmoderated items page is not reachable from "user profile image" menu or any other page that I'm aware of.

Unlike past experience, now it seems to be waiting for approval. I must have missed the unmoderated items page last time, as it isn't easily reachable.

I've seen a "Mark as new" on the comment options, is it relevant to this and/or what does it do to the comment?

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

And no worries, you're not being mean at all. We want to gather this feedback to make the experience as smooth as possible for all involved. So thank you!

lovelyjubbly
Making moves

If ideas can't be replied to then I would assume that discussions are where we users interact with product managers and their colleagues.  But I think ideas should probably allow some commenting, because an idea may need some elaboration that other users can provide better.

Edit: According to the Idea Journey, new ideas will be open for discussion.

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ideas can be replied to. And yes, just like you mentioned, it's in case an idea needs some elaboration and also so others can add their input. There is just as much value in the comments as there are in the original posts.

We just have it set up for everything in the Ideas forum to be pre-moderated before being visible. Hope this helps!

Luca_Pavan
Familiar face

It's simple, on Ideas you post any new feature that you had in mind that you'd like while on Discussions you post topics, news and other stuff about Firefox that you'd like to chat about. Then if you have to report a bug or issue you can use BugZilla, despite it requires to create a new account, actually looks like you need to create accounts for everything anywhere for maybe doing something really simple and that then you needn't more than 1 or some more times.