cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox View a subversion of my privacy settings?

gargeug
Making moves

I just became aware of Firefox View and see a history of all of the pages I have visited in non-private mode. I have gone through all my privacy settings to get rid of this history in my address bar as our computer is shared amongst the family. Now I am surprised to find all I have to do is click the Firefox logo and see everywhere I have visited over the past few days. Financial documents, birthday shopping, etc. Places that should not be in a giant list for everyone to see!?!

It is a cool idea, but it should not be so invasive. It goes against everything that has kept me with Firefox through the years. How about we remove the history list?

3 REPLIES 3

jscher2000
Leader

You could consider having each family member use a separate profile with its own data. For more information on that, see: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

But as long as you are sharing...

I think you a referring to the Recently Closed Tabs list. Firefox View provides a quicker way to access a list that you traditionally would access using either:

• menu button > History > Recently Closed Tabs
  • (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Tabs

There is a way to reduce the number of closed tabs that Firefox remembers. Lowering that number increases the risk that you'll close a tab accidentally and not be able to reopen it. But if you want to try it, here's how you do it:

Here's how you can check on that:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to display an editing field, and change the value from 25 to 3 (or whatever low number you think will be enough), then press Enter or click the blue check mark button to save the change.

This doesn't really address any of my actual question. I can see how Firefox View is printing off the list of remembered tabs, but reducing the number of tabs doesn't stop View from printing them in plain text right there. And making separate profiles for a shared computer is not practical in a real environment. Sure with a bunch of tech guys it might make sense, but you think my wife and young kids are going to switch profiles every time they want to look up the weather or something? That is incredibly out of touch with reality.

Firefox View is showing plain text view of my recent history even when I have closed tabs and have don't show recent history in my settings set. I am just wanting to point out that this 'feature' is subverting the privacy settings that many of us just assumed we had. I can hide it from top panel, but you can still access it via History.

I would like the ability to completely rid my browser of Firefox View. It is a feature I did not ask for that is now impeding on what I want out of my browser. At least give me the ability to disable or remove it.

@gargeug wrote:

I would like the ability to completely rid my browser of Firefox View. It is a feature I did not ask for that is now impeding on what I want out of my browser. At least give me the ability to disable or remove it.

At this point, the closest thing is to right-click the Firefox View button and use Remove from Toolbar to drop it back into the box of buttons on the Customize panel. (Most toolbar buttons can be removed that way.)