cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox slow and using large resources (memory usage) today

joejoe
Making moves

Both my computers today, with Firefox open, computer fans louder (working harder) and memory usage is 20% plus on FF alone and Firefox is slow. Just noticing today, anyone else experiencing?

Didn't really see if FF had updates today, but version indicates it was updated

130.0.1 Firefox Release

September 17, 2024

I've cleared caches and data, almost ready to downgrade a version if possible. Have not used safe mode yet, rather not obviously but can try if needed.

3 REPLIES 3

joejoe
Making moves

update: I removed two add-ons (AdBlock and Video Downloader) and issue seemed to clear, so possibly new update is not interacting with certain add-ons. Removing one at a time, seems to be more the Ad-Block add-on causing the issue.

drmoss_ca
Making moves

Similar experience here with 130.0.1 running on macOS15 on an M2 Mac. Keeps pausing, failing to respond when a link is clicked. Amusingly this site refuses to load, so I'm using Safari to write this. If I quit it, it re-opens with the links loaded that refused to load last session. But within ten minutes it is misbehaving again. I'll use Vivaldi until the next update.

joejoe
Making moves

well this morning, even with extensions removed, FF is being a resource hog, slow to load with, similar to drmoss_ca with links as well. Now one caveat, on one of my laptops, FF has been open for awhile and now seems to be behaving properly or better (even with AdBlock extension enabled), much lower CPU/resources usage.  So question I might have is what is FF doing when it first loads and is open for a while - scary.

Ironically using Edge at same time, cpu usage so low barely shows up on Task Manager usage and wicked fast.

Unfortunately may have to stop using FF for now until issue is resolved.  #Mozilla, is Firefox broken 😞