Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox Sidebar and Vertical tabs: try them out in Nightly Firefox Labs 131

asafko
Employee
Employee

Hi folks,

Vertical tabs and a new sidebar experience that make multitasking and context-switching easier are now available in Nightly 131. To try them, update to the latest Nightly and go to Settings > Firefox Labs, and activate the Sidebar and Vertical tabs experiments.

After you do this, you will be able to see the new sidebar, but you will still need to add the sidebar icon to the toolbar to be able to expand vertical tabs. Click Customize toolbar in the toolbar right-click menu, and drag the sidebar icon to your toolbar. This is a temporary situation, and in the future the icon will be added to the toolbar automatically. 

A few things to keep in mind:

• This work is still very much in progress and has some rough edges, functionally and visually. You’ll see us improve and polish things over the coming months.
  • We will be sharing our informal backlog of improvements in this post today, so you can get a sense for where we ultimately want these features to be.
  • To design this first version, we conducted extensive research, talked to many Firefox users to understand their multitasking and context-switching needs, and prototyped extensively to find the best solutions to address them.

What we’re putting out there is something that we believe will help the majority of people using Firefox achieve their day-to-day tasks. We know there is no perfect solution for everyone and welcome your feedback to shape the direction we move forward in.

273 REPLIES 273

Octavio
Making moves

Really loving the new unified toolbar from today's update! Although i did notice the width of the sidebar does not match the height of the top bar, making it look off, specially in compact mode (although i know it's not a "supported" mode).

I know width control will come eventually, but i hope it matches the height of the top bar by default in the future.

D0m1n1c
Familiar face

Oh, big change today. The Nightly version of October 3 broke my custom CSS code that hid the top bar. It's now natively merged with the toolbar. Good job team !!!

I have 3 suggestions :

Add more padding to the bookmarks bar, it's really too thin.

Then, the spacing between right buttons and the toolbar buttons seems too big, I think it should be smaller.

Firefox 3 octobre spacing between buttons.png

Also, your default dark theme should be modified to makes the address bar more distinct from the rest of the toolbar. I changed it to another theme. The difference is not big, but...

Your theme

Firefox Nightly Default Dark Theme.png

And with a theme called « Dark Grey Theme (WebExtension) »

Firefox Nightly Dark Gray Theme (WebExtension).png

D0m1n1c
Familiar face

Another suggestion : remove the outline (gray border) around the content Window. I dont think it is useful ! Refering to #tabbrowser-tabbox. I customized this with userChrome.css (would be interesting to have rounded corners like Floorp fork or Microsoft Edge) :

#tabbrowser-tabbox {
outline: none !important;
padding: 6px !important;
}

Srivathsa_97
Making moves

Thanks for developing the vertical tabs option.When we enable verticle tabs. we when try to type or seach in the URL. Its going underneath the tab

here are the screen shots

Please make it work like this Devs

same issue

GazirovanayaVod_1-1728100497807.png

It's normal. If you' re in Nightly build. Lol

😓

I have also ran into this problem😂

TomLi_0-1728047720605.png

😂

TomLi
Making moves

Subject: Issues with Address Bar and Feature Suggestion for Vertical Tabs Mode

Dear Firefox Nightly Team,

I’ve encountered a couple of issues and have a feature suggestion related to vertical tabs mode:

1. When vertical tabs are enabled, the address bar panel becomes semi-transparent, making it difficult to read the text clearly. Additionally, the usual suggested results and predictions that appear while typing in the address bar are not showing up, which significantly impacts the browsing experience.

2. I would also like to suggest adding a feature similar to Microsoft Edge, where the sidebar automatically expands when the mouse hovers over it for a certain period. This would enhance navigation without requiring manual clicks to expand the sidebar.

Thank you for your attention to these matters, and I appreciate your continuous improvements to Firefox Nightly.

Best regards,

Tom Li

TomLi_1-1728047777208.png

N2ezr
Making moves

Recently, Nightly changed the behavior. Now, when you enable vertical tabs, the tabs toolbar disappears and all buttons from it move to the navbar.

This is definitely cool, but I would really like to be able to leave the tabs toolbar without tabs. Just as an additional toolbar. Even if it's a secret setting via about:config, still. This would be an incredibly useful feature for css theme creators, so please hear it

Jinn
Making moves

Autohiding on hover is a must ❤️ (preferably overlapping the browser content, not pushing it to the side)

2024-10-05 00-14-48-mc.gif

https://imgur.com/a/gq0zfNA

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Personally, i prefer content to be resized as it is now, never liked overlayed sidebars. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to both ways.

The main issue with that solution that it LAGS, because whole page overflow each time you hover on tabs and it shift content no matter that, so you can't really read anything on page unless you are at very top of the page. Whether it text that has to fit in smaller width or, say, site with image grid that have may be 5 columns and on hover it remove one, so that there only 4 columns and everything shift. It is bad in many ways because of this.

madefade
Making moves

Was just about to say the same. Sidebar currently resizes the page which I find jarring. Overlay would take care of that. That and hovering over the sidebar for tabs plus a keyboard shortcut would be top notch.

It can be done when the the vertical tab bar (#sidebar-main) is positioned as a fixed element actually. But it requires manipulating userchrome.. which could be an unnecesary hurtle for the (majority?) users of the feature who just want it baked in.

I think the developers are just settling on a preferred way to do it. So until then, hopefully.

Do you have the css code for this?

Tonight sure, I'm at work atm

So my time is very limited between the work I do on this theme of mine and work, what I'll do is provide you the link to the source, and you can browse this file that contains everything related to the vertical tab modifications: https://github.com/soulhotel/FF-ULTIMA/blob/update/theme/all-global-positioning.css

This is what it looks like at the moment on nightly 133.0a1. And this is specifically the "Update branch" source for the theme. Not the main branch or 1.9 release: https://vimeo.com/1016613527?share=copy

And this is a demo of auto-hiding, while overlaying content rather than pushing it to the side: https://imgur.com/a/jHFz5Uq

lines 385-410 are the auto-hiding section for vertical tabs, this implementation keeps the same positioning for the sidebar, and pushes content to the side like default behavior.

Above that I have a greyed out section for my 131 implementation that worked with animation, but it only worked very briefly with some clipping.

In lines 412-449, I have auto-hiding for vertical tabs with the fixed positioning I mentioned before, they overlay the browser content rather than pushing it to the side. It's essentially a copy of lines 385-410 with basic forced positioning.

Either way most of this is hacky, and it's mostly just a demo and attempt to work within the ongoing changes with each Nightly update, I do believe the Firefox Developers are actively listening and considering the comments in this post/discussion.. so while things seem to break with each Nightly update, I'm hopeful that they will have auto-hiding implemented themselves in the near future. So cheers.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
This is "autohiding 133" by Jinn A on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Thank you so much. I'll test this later. Right now I'm at work 😖

I agree. Userchrome is a very useful tool for customising the ui (not sure what other tricks can be  pulled off with it) but it's like you said. A hurdle for most users and the chances of it breaking in a future update.

halmai
Making moves

I am very happy with the native sidebar feature, thank you for working on it. However, I am migrating back to Firefox from Vivaldi and one feature is missing for me.

If the title of a tab is too long then I cannot see the end of the title. I liked in Vivaldi that I was able to drag the vertical divisor line between the tabs and the windows to give more or less space to the tabs, however I wanted. It would be nice to have this changable width feature in FF as well. 

At the same time, I relaly love the toggle button in FF, which I didn't have in Vivaldi. Good job, guys.

00FF00
Making moves

im not sure if this is already mentioned here or not, or if there is already a way to change it in about:config (but it should be enabled along with vertical tabs anyway) but i like how you can pin tabs to the top of the vertical tabs side bar, and that looks great, but even with only a couple tabs open the new tab button should be at the bottom of the tabs i think... or maybe the new tab should be added to the top (aka, left) of the list of tabs.

it isnt so bad with only a few tabs open, but when you have enough to where you need to scroll to navigate them, it is kinda of... not really 'disorienting' but close enough i guess, to click "new tab" then have to scroll to the bottom to switch to it (assuming you dont have it set to switch to the new tabs automatically.. how do you guys keep this all straight lmao)

so, the thing that makes me think of is if you DO have a lot of tabs open, and you DO have the new tab page at the bottom of the list, then... you have to scroll to get to that button. so maybe also having it in the regular UI like it was... oh, im the one that removed that when i enabled the vertical tabs. well yeah. maybe having it in two places is the way to go.

i guess not really sure the best way to go about it, but it seemed worth mentioning. let me know if any of this was unclear and ill add some screenshots or a screen recording since i know i explain things a little strangely sometimes

R2V1215
Making moves

It's 133.0a1 (2024-10-10) version ,firefox nightly.

May  I ask what happen to this vertical tabs? Why the icons is  only half diplayed?

R2V1215_0-1728634317761.png

Mordor
Making moves

As a very heavy multitasker with thousands of tabs that I need to go through (don't judge me, I think this started when I began to lose my mind from boredom, don't like feeling like I'm not doing anything with my time but a little out of hand now), such a multitasking addict that I had to upgrade to 64GB RAM...these new tab related features are a godsend, I knew this was made for people like me immediately.

I feel like it's Christmas, thank you guys really I mean that, it really gets very stressful knowing you have so many tabs you need to clear up and it can really make a big negative impact on your life because you always have that thought that you didn't go through all those tabs and you don't want some interesting website you saved for later years ago to now be gone or those interesting youtube videos to now be deleted. So you really want to get through all those tabs and you can end up putting most other things in life on the back burner until you've checked all those tabs.  Oftentimes people say "just bookmark all of those tabs". And they're right, I'm trying to do that more but I think my problem with storing tabs as bookmarks is it's tucked away out of view so I think that leads me to forgetting about them, especially when you're a multitasking addict jumping from one thing to another constantly. Tabs are right there in your face, you know immediately what's most urgent to you at the moment and I don't like the bookmarks sidebar just sitting there limiting my view constantly.

Just taking a quick look at these new tab features what really makes it appealing to me is how I can quickly take a skim through a much larger pool of tabs than what's normally in view in the horizontal tab bar. And going through the horizontal tab bar with the arrows is just pretty 'clunky' to use, which definitely is somewhat of a good thing I suppose so you have time to look through everything carefully but it's nice being able to just quickly skim through tabs for a much quicker overview of what you've been working on, what you may have forgotten about, etc

I haven't messed with the tab listing and tab searching, etc too much just yet but I actually came here because I thought you guys removed those new tab features already and I made an account to ask about that. But now that I look closer it seems you guys changed the icon? My first impression is I really don't like that dropdown arrow icon for such useful tab features, it's easy to overlook that dropdown arrow, like what happened to me. It deserves a prominent icon similar to what it used to have. Had it been this dropdown arrow initially, I don't think I would have ever even found out about these new tab features. It just doesn't make any sense to me to use such a simple, basic icon that is going to lead people to believe it's function is just that, something simple and basic like the other simple icons next to it with simple functions like opening a new tab.

I think 'pulldown' and 'pullup' arrows are needed because right now the tabs just run into the bottom of your browser then just sits there which is going to seem very weird for the average user who is just looking for something as easy to use as possible. You can use the scroll wheel which works fine sure but I'd rather have 'pulldown' and 'pullup' arrows so I'm not straining my fingers so much more than I already am and to help avoid any possible misclicks while using that scroll wheel so much. Much easier to just let that 'pulldown' arrow do it's thing and flow nicely through all those tabs but I know those 'pulldown' arrows sometimes come with their own issues.

I would really like to see some improvements made to the tab searching. Particularly for situations like if firefox or whatever extension decided to send me to the very end of hundreds or thousands of tabs after an update when I'm buried in the middle of them, maybe my place was near a gmail inbox tab but I have multiple other past gmail inbox tabs for the same email now I'm still lost and have to waste time going back to where I was at. Or I'm not so lucky and I have no clue what the exact name of the tabs were that I was last on, now tab searching is pretty useless to me just like that. Maybe adding some search filters like 'date last accessed' could help with that.  But when you're able to remember that specific tab you were on or nearby tabs, or tabs you wanted to go back to from months or years ago, maybe skim through all of your youtube videos in tabs, it's definitely a big help.

That 'Close all duplicate tabs' menu item is interesting. I definitely see the use of it because I open duplicate tabs all the time, it could help in getting rid of a good amount of tabs BUT this can also cause disasters because some or a lot of those duplicate tabs could be things like important or interesting articles from months or years ago that the user plans to read in the future when time allows, maybe it's important research or things they were learning about and they happened to open duplicate tabs for those sites. I'm sure many would agree that in general, heavy multitasker or not, no one wants to have to live with the thought that they just lost something that meant a lot to them. And in this case, that option can really do a lot of damage and cause people to lose tabs that meant a lot to them. I'm praying that this menu item at least has a confirmation dialog box and it's one of those things like 'clear history' that can wipe your entire session of hundreds or thousands of tabs that just don't belong anywhere near commonly used menus to me. And sometimes even the confirmation dialog boxes that only require a single click still are not enough because the user might just click whatever option not realizing they clicked the wrong menu item with everything else going on in their life, while being in the moment and being so used to clicking everything where you intended to until you're going a little too fast one day and just running on autopilot almost going through menus.

Also, a small suggestion that us multitaskers desperately need - an open new tab option that DOESN'T send us to the very end of our tabs causing us to lose our place. For years now I've just been having to do a dirty workaround by opening a new tab of the current site I'm on if that's available, would be nice to have a proper button that does that.

Thank you guys for these added tab features, I hope this feedback helps.

PaintingPaul
Making moves

Hi there, I'm new to the mozilla community and just installed nightly to test it out.

Some thughts to the vertical tabs and the sidebar.

🙂
I really like the approach to add the sidebar toggle switch next to the back/forth arrwos.

😞
Currently, the behaviour for dragging and dropping links into the sidebar to open websites specifacely in a new tab is not so elegant. In the normal tab bar, a light bar indicates where the tab is going to be dropped. This is missing with the vertical tab-bar.

Pfize183
Making moves

Todays nightly update (Build-ID 20241018211452) crashes the browser immediately when you enter discord.com, youtube and paramountplus on wwindows 11. Maybe other site are also affected.

Zach_Here
Making moves

Great addition. 2 Issues :
1. Search suggestion overlap with bookmarks bar when searching (see attachment)
2. Unable to customize sidebar width
Attachment :
Zach_Here_0-1729435281639.png

Seems to be complicated to solve this so little issue (your point 1), it's been there ever since they merged the navigation bar with the toolbar few weeks ago !!

Des
Making moves

Loving the new vertical-tab styling so far. Seriously, I'm really happy with how it's shaping up—the toolbar is nicely laid out, with adequate blank spaces to be able to grab the window and drag it around. The sidebar itself is laid out nicely. I like how pinning works (adding the separator between pinned and unpinned tabs).

The single biggest thing I would like to see next is—you can probably guess it—Edge-style hovering. I want to be able to hover over the sidebar and have it expand to show me the tab titles (and give me close buttons) so I can easily scan the list of tabs to find the one I want to switch to and/or the ones I want to close.

As things stand now, I still have to have the little "List all tabs" toolbar icon handy, because it's easier to open a menu, scan through the tabs, do what I need to do, and let the menu close itself than it is to pop open the sidebar and then explicitly fold it away again afterwards (which requires one extra click).

I've also noticed a few minor visual quirks:

• On macOS, the background color of the toolbar does not match the background color of the sidebar. This looks weird, honestly—these should be the same color. (I'm using the default light theme, no special styling/theming applied.)
  • The shadowed border between the page and sidebar looks a bit weird and is, I think, unnecessary. Get rid of the shadow, and ideally, the border as well to be consistent with the toolbar. Also consider doing what others have suggested and give the page a small rounded corner in the upper left.

And one bug:

• When a Firefox window is displaying full-screen content, and a new tab is opened in that window (e.g. because of an external link that was opened from another monitor), the sidebar seems to be devoid of tabs. I noticed this a week or so ago and haven't tested it again recently, but wanted to mention here for awareness.

Thanks again for building this and great work!

kendlbat
Making moves

When typing in the search bar with the bookmarks toolbar visible, the bookmark toolbar conflicts with the search suggestions.

Andruszka
Making moves

Guten Tag,

ich habe lange Zeit auf solche Tabs gewartet. Danke 1000 x. Tuen Sie, bitte, alles nach dem Microsoft Edge wo Tabs gut funktionieren.

Große Grüsse

Kai Dedo

Hello,

I have been waiting for such tabs for a long time. Thank you 1000 times. Please do everything according to Microsoft Edge where tabs work well.

Best regards,

Kai Dedo