cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox now saves files that I only wanted to open

MP
Making moves

Please fix this, or give me the option to just open a document.  I do not want to save each and every document I open.

I do not see the logic in this decision.

86 REPLIES 86

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree 100%.  Extreme clutter of my download folder makes saving the needed files and getting rid of the garbage a real pain.  Switched to Chrome.

A setting to use the Temp folder, instead of the "Save files in" folder, for files you choose to Open was added in Firefox 102. For users who use "Open in Firefox" for PDFs, a setting to handle them as web content (and save in the web content cache instead of a normal disk folder) was added in Firefox 103. So if you decide you don't love Chrome, feel free to use those options:

prd2002
Making moves

There seems to be a logic to that decision: They want everyone to switch to Chrome.

Hi @prd2002, if you didn't find the change in Firefox 102 that lets you choose between your "Save files to" folder and the Windows Temp folder, see: https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/firefox-now-saves-files-that-i-only-wanted-to-open/m-p/12...

OyLR
Making moves

In Windows 11, they completely destroyed this possibility, even through about:config, this cannot be done. This is the moment I'm leaving Firefox. 😢

@OyLR wrote:

In Windows 11, they completely destroyed this possibility, even through about:config, this cannot be done. This is the moment I'm leaving Firefox. 😢

Is this a problem with the version of Firefox you can install from the Microsoft/Windows apps store? You don't need to use that one. You can still install Firefox from Mozilla directly and have it install in the normal way.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release

hifromnz
Making moves

I see logic.  Google's shareholding in Firefox.  They want to force us to change to Chrome.

Just look at the logic.  They ignore decades of requests to return markup

to PDFs, and then wreck being able to view anything in firefox

Sorry, what are you trying to say? 😅