cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double spaced bookmark padding fix coming?

envee
Making moves

Please say this is being looked at? Please.

This double spacing is really annoying and actually hinders rather than helps the user. We have to scroll more now than before.

44 REPLIES 44

@ralphbu wrote:

I did that, set stylesheets to true and pasted that exact text into a userchrome.css doc in my profile/chrome folder but it had no effect, any tips? The initial @namespace line goes in too, right? Anything else in or out?

You do not need a namespace line.

Two common reasons for a userChrome.css file to be ignored (after you have set the preference in about:config and restarted Firefox to trigger Firefox reading the file):

Sorry to resurrect this thread:

I'm need of some tutoring on the same basic script text, where the popup menus are concerned what script does one enter to pad the script for all of the popup menus but NOT the bookmarks menu?

Currently my bookmarks menu displays the script properly padded to the right where they need to be in order to allow the needed left margin for the icons I will be adding.

But all of the smaller popup menus currently display the script padded right up against the left margin, no padded space at all.

Where the script that I currently have entered into userChrome is concerned if a padding *xx*px is entered ALL of the menus move the script including the Bookmarks menu which doesn't need any padding at all. What script needs to be entered to omit altering the bookmarks menu?

thx

menupopup {
--panel-padding: 2 !important;

@media (-moz-platform: windows) {

> menu,
> menuitem {
padding-inline-start: 2px !important;

I’m sorry not being able to give you the help you are looking for.  My concern was and remains that there needs to be an interface that allows users to define the spacing they want.  I have never wanted users to get there by modifying scripts.  Mozilla must recognize that there is a NEED for people to adjust the spacing of menus and bookmarks, and they (Mozilla) should provide appropriate choices in the existing settings dialog to allow people to define what they want.  The underlying infrastructure is obviously there in the form of scripts; all we are missing is the interface to them.

I appreciate this doesn’t address your current need, but I think it is wrong to go down the path of modifying scripts.  In the settings dialog, Mozilla should give users the possibility of select the spacing they want.  That way, you will get what you want, and non-technical users will be able to get it too…

I agree with you totally, since 2016? when the developers of Firefox moved away from the XUL platform the browser in general has become increasingly difficult to modify. At the moment no one I've come across has developed a web extension to alter the script spacing for the context menus. When I did it I had to make use of userChrome to enter the needed script to achieve the wanted result. One has to accept that the browser structure is what it is, I still don't know how to *speak the language* of writing script, it's a steep learning curve for me. My browser is still in the incomplete stage, with the aid of more knowledgeable persons out there i hope to get it completed. I still need the proper script to enter into userChrome to alter what I need to.  

hardstylens
Making moves

Bookmarks Toolbar drop-down menu
As close as possible to the Firefox 91 style
Creators - sandro79 and kokoss

userChrome.css

toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] {
  --panel-background: #f0f0f0 !important;
  --panel-border-color: #979797 !important;
  --panel-separator-color: #d7d7d7 !important;
  --panel-border-radius: 0px !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] > :is(menu, menuitem) {
  padding-block: 3px !important;
  min-height: unset !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] menuseparator {
  padding-block: 2px 3px !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] > :is(menu, menuitem):not([disabled])[_moz-menuactive] {
  background-color: #d1e2f2 !important;
  border-radius: 0px !important;
  outline: 1px solid #78aee5;
  outline-offset: -1px;
}
#PersonalToolbar {
  background-color: #f9f9fb !important;
  --toolbarseparator-color: #000000 !important;
  --toolbarbutton-hover-background: #dddde4 !important;
  --toolbarbutton-active-background: #cfcfd8 !important;
}
.menupopup-arrowscrollbox, .bookmark-item[container] {
  fill: #000000 !important;
  color: #000000 !important;
}
#PlacesChevron {
  fill: #000000 !important;
  color: #000000 !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] > menu.bookmark-item, menuitem.bookmark-item {
  max-width: 200em !important;
}

toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] {
  --panel-border-radius: 0px !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] > :is(menu, menuitem) {
  padding-block: 3px !important;
  min-height: unset !important;
}
toolbarbutton menupopup[placespopup] menuseparator {
  padding-block: 2px 3px !important;
}