cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Mac OS X full screen to spaces

iMark77
Making moves

This is one of the features that completely annoys me that chromed us in one of the main reasons I'm still on Firefox it is in my top 10. Why because it's so effing distracting to have a video full screen and have everything shift and then exit just to check something and have everything shift back! This wasn't a big deal until I just did the Firefox 124.0.1 update. On top of that I have seven desktop spaces so what happens when I full screen a video in Firefox in my main desktop workspace it goes all the way to the opposite end of virtual space 8.

This should've been something in a change log that was presented to the user during update with an option to disable in settings that's clearly available. Not about:config because I have absolutely no idea know which one I need to change without breaking something. https://ln5.sync.com/dl/a26db5500/3fuxxazm-ijqu3ka6-sx92qn2r-xthmkxkm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

LobsterPrince
Making moves

Set the full-screen-api.macos-native-full-screen flag in about:config to false and that should solve it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

LobsterPrince
Making moves

Set the full-screen-api.macos-native-full-screen flag in about:config to false and that should solve it.

Thank you because I just discovered another side effect that I suspected but hadn't verified yet. In some ways I might as well have a Vision Pro and a headless MacBook Pro. Because in apples infinite wisdom they decide that you can plug 4 monitors in but if you hit full screen on anything you might as well not have any other monitors. Remember they decided in 10.8 that multitasking was bad and introduced their "native" a full screen mode. I am sorry most of this comes off as a rant I'm getting so fed up with apple I'm waiting on a framework. Of course then we have third-party apps that decide that they want to integrate stupid functions which don't help. I guess that's another tweak that has to get added to my list to set up new systems/FF.

Photo of full screen mode using second monitor disables primary monitor defeating the purpose of duel monitorsPhoto of full screen mode using second monitor disables primary monitor defeating the purpose of duel monitors

DanButsu
Making moves

@LobsterPrince You rock. That did it... saviour!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like I'm going more and more insane every day. I'm already complaining about those young folks on my lawn and I started doing that somewhere around 20 / 2015.