cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ctrl or Cmd + trackpad or mouse wheel on Firefox 109 (macOS)

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Firefox 109 Release Notes inform us that:

>On macOS, Ctrl or Cmd + trackpad or mouse wheel now scrolls the page instead of zooming. This avoids accidental zooming and matches the behavior of other web browsers on macOS.

To revert to the previous behavior (zoom in/zoom up), users need to go to about:config and set mousewheel.with_meta.action to 3.

Most users don't read the release notes, know about about:config, or even join support forums. This change should've been applied only to new profiles.

12 REPLIES 12

jscher2000
Leader

For anyone stumbling across this thread who needs more help with changing the setting, here's the article on using about:config: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/about-config-editor-firefox

Have there been cases where changes to default preference values are only effective in new profiles? Or to put that another way, are there cases where existing profiles are customized during an update to preserve old default preference values? The currently effective default value of a non-customized preference isn't written to the prefs.js file; it is inherited from the program files. So preserving an old default would seem to involve checking whether the user has customized the preference and, if not, manually creating a custom preference set to the old default, and then manually recording that this has been done so it doesn't get repeated at every update (otherwise, the user would not be able to switch to the new default).

norswap
Making moves

Seconded, had to find out the hard way. It's a super useful feature too, and as I Firefox user, I'd rather have consistency on Firefox accross OS than accross browser on Mac.

ryo0301
Making moves

I now understand why Firefox users are decreasing!

mats852
Making moves

One of the main features that's missing on Safari. Can't live without that. Thanks for the solution!

JTBlanchard
Making moves

This change affected my existing profile.  Over two weeks of frustration before searches finally brought me to this thread.

Considering that this makes the action of a scrolling with a modifier key the same as scrolling without it, I'm not sure that this is helpful unless this was known to cause significant confusion for new users.

I am nonetheless grateful that the option to change the behavior remains.

sinistersnare
Making moves

It was super hard to find that 1) this change happened (I thought I was going crazy!) 2) how to change it back (What an absolutely arcane way to revert back to old functionality).

If you are gonna change behavior in a breaking way, at least offer a better way to teach people who to revert to the way they liked it.

FreshCucumber
Making moves

This change has been extremely frustrating for me, I thought I was going crazy until I stumbled over this post.

Terrible choice to change the Firefox default behavior in this case in my opinion, at the very least this should be in the actual settings, not hidden in about:config. And just to be clear, this is a terrible on Apple's part too.

NotAProgrammer
Making moves

GREEEAAATTT!  😞  Another update, another feature taken away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This feature isn't the default behavior anymore, but it wasn't taken away. You just have to follow the provided instructions: open about:config and set mousewheel.with_meta.action to 3.

kolarto
Making moves

This feels stupid. My guess is more people would want firefox to be consistent across OSes instead compared to other browsers.

Kantum
Making moves

Just why?!

Chrisgarside
Making moves

I cannot understand why a developer would make it default for this feature to be disabled when it is so convenient and useful

Furthermore to do this without any prompt. I have wasted an hour today figuring out how to get it back. I have questioned my sanity over it, but I was sure something wasn't right when it didn't work. It is something I have become accustomed to doing automatically (Using the CMD key+ scroll to zoom in/ out)