cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in behavior for Google as home page

js1954
Making moves

Recently, perhaps at the same time as the last Firefox update, the behavior of my home page changed when I start Firefox.   Used to be when I started Firefox, it would go to Google home page with the cursor positioned in the Google search prompt.   Now the cursor is positioned in the address bar with url highlighted.  If I click on the Home icon, then the Google page reloads and behaves as before.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

js1954
Making moves

Well today the issue has disappeared.   I also see that a Firefox update occurred today.   Coincidence?   I would guess not.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

js1954
Making moves

And FYI I tried setting browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar to false and it made no difference.  

js1954
Making moves

What happens in more detail:

1. Start Firefox
  2. Blank window appears with a tab labelled "New Tab"
  3. Address bar says: search with google or enter address
  4. Label "New Tab" changes to "Google"
  5. Address bar changes to: https://www.google.com/ and is highlighted and the cursor is positioned in the address bar.  (until a few days ago, the cursor would be positioned in the Google search prompt.)

Mine page still remains a firefox page which if I activate the tab system will populate the firefox homepage with large number of utterly unnecessary tabs rather than one take off/ search page which is and has been google .com. basically Firefox has forced me to work with the new tab system which I never asked for and find impractical visually busy and pushed on me in a manner reminiscent of the imperial coders at Microsoft...whats up guys? Have you given up giving us Choices??????????

js1954
Making moves

Well today the issue has disappeared.   I also see that a Firefox update occurred today.   Coincidence?   I would guess not.