cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmark error after update to version 110.0

Trafficphotogra
Making moves

Hello,

since yesterday's update, using the bookmark list has become almost impossible. If the list normally remains at the last position called up, it now always jumps back to the starting position. If you want to call up several bookmarks one after the other, you have to search through the list again each time, even if the bookmarks are directly one below the other. Sometimes the Pos1 and End keys in the bookmarks don't work either. Please fix this error quickly, it is currently very time-consuming. Thanks very much.

Regards

Manuel

78 REPLIES 78

weather1967
Making moves

I have the same problem with the new version 110.0 ,please fix it.

Rodanio
Making moves

For the love of god someone please fix this, it's driving me insane.

weather1967
Making moves

Any news about this big new problem  ?

Jon
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks all for the heads up and following up on this. Here is a link to the bug for tracking purposes.

That bug says "intermittently."  There's nothing intermittent about it.  Since the update, my Windows 10 Pro machine (at a minimum, haven't tried it elsewhere yet) does it every last time.  Maddening if one has more than a few bookmarks.

Correct,the issue it make continuity not intermittently.

Unfortunatelly i think we will live with this problem !!

The bug status says "WONTFIX."  What does that mean?  Can we anticipate an update that will fix it or does this status indicate there's no intention to correct the problem?  If the former, approximately when is the update expected?  My mouse's scroll wheel might wear out soon.  😁

@SalSantamaura wrote:

The bug status says "WONTFIX."  What does that mean?  Can we anticipate an update that will fix it or does this status indicate there's no intention to correct the problem?  If the former, approximately when is the update expected?  My mouse's scroll wheel might wear out soon.  😁

The WONTFIX is for Firefox 110. In other words, the earliest it will be fixed is Firefox 111, due out March 14th.

----

For someone who needs to open multiple bookmarks sequentially, and uses Ctrl+click or middle-click (with the scroll wheel) to do that, perhaps this combination of settings will be useful. It involves setting Firefox to (1) open bookmarks sent to new tabs in the background and (2) keep the bookmarks menu open when it does that. Here's how:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from false to true

(D) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu and pause while the list is filtered

(E) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false

Now when you Ctrl+click or middle-click a bookmark, Firefox should keep the menu open.

"...the earliest it will be fixed is Firefox 111, due out March 14th..."

Since 111 hasn't fixed it, any new guess as to how much longer my mouse's scroll wheel must last?

FirstOfThFallen
Making moves

Cool, it's not only me.  Maybe 110.1 will fix it?

That bug says "intermittently."  There's nothing intermittent about it.  Since the update, my Windows 10 Pro machine (at a minimum, haven't tried it elsewhere yet) does it every last time.  Maddening if one has more than a few bookmarks.

brookse32
Making moves

Hi all at Mozilla,

Before the Firefox 110 update, each independent Firefox window remembered the location I had scrolled to when using the Bookmarks dropdown menu, so that when I again clicked on 'Bookmarks' the dropdown scroll was still in the same location where it last left off. This was *crucial*  because I have a *lot* of bookmarks and when I drag and drop a new bookmark from the location bar into the Bookmarks dropdown scrolling window, I need the scroll to remember where it was so that I can quickly drop the new bookmark in the correct one of thousands of folders.

If the drop down menu doesn't remember where I left off and defaults to the top of the bookmarks (as it is doing now) I have to drag the new bookmark through a slow downward scroll that often takes *minutes* to execute!

Please fix!

Thanks,

Eric Brooks

SF, CA

Indeed, I just noticed this bug as well (I have a pretty long list of bookmarks) and I support the request of brookse23 to fix it!

Yes PLZ FIX NOW

Same problem. based on some research a lot of people, maybe everyone, are having this problem too. Mozilla get it together and fix this.

I'm having the same issue, pretty annoying. Can someone let us know when this bug will be fixed

Same issue, please fix ASAP

Same problem

Same issue, its really annoying

Same problem here

I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group

Same problem please fix.

same problem, please fix.....

So annoying going back to the previous Firefox release if I can find it.

I already tried, although the links, history, extensions and other things are lost if you pass from version 110 to any previous one such as 109.0.1

You can backup all those settings, and then import them into the previous ones. (what I think!)

There is a bug on file for this, as discussed in another thread:

Bookmark error after update to version 110.0

Hopefully the March 14th release of Firefox 111 will have a fix.

Version 111.0 did not fix that...

@FATH3R wrote:

Version 111.0 did not fix that...

Unfortunately, the patch has not yet been put into testing.

Spider-Man
Familiar face

Just an update that may be related? don't know. but while the bug obviously is still being worked on, now there seems to be another issue? Now after today's updates for nightly, the right click option for  "Open all bookmarks" option and likewise the "open all in tabs" option are not working at all.   Another very useful feature that seems to have died in the latest updates.  I can only hope some of this gets resolved. the only option is using an antiquated version of firefox or abandoning ship altogether.  as someone above indicated my mouse scroller is likely going to break if this keeps up.  I'm using nightly version 112.0a1 (2023-02-23) (64-bit) and still no fix and now another issue.  so not lookin good at the moment.

FYI: update: this morning's update (2.24.2023) on nightly now allows me to select the "open all in Tabs" option from the bookmarks folder. The Right Click option to select "Open all bookmarks" in a folder still does not work at all and remains non functional.  If it continues like it is I'll create another bug report but would prefer it was resolved on it's own.  The bigger issue is still the scrolling one through bookmarks folders and it not keeping it's place. 

Screenshot 2023-02-23 202306.png

Why would you want to open ALL bookmarks? I have literally thousands of bookmarks, if I did "open all" it would crash my system.

@partisan59 wrote:

Why would you want to open ALL bookmarks? I have literally thousands of bookmarks, if I did "open all" it would crash my system.

It's not shown, but it means "in this folder." I don't think anyone would try this on a huge folder like "Other Bookmarks"! In my own case, I used to visit a forum site that was painfully slow. With all six boards bookmarked in the same folder, I could tell Firefox to load them all simultaneously in background tabs and do other things while that happened, rather than having to endure waiting for each one. Of course, you might never need this feature yourself.

EXACTLY what the other reply said.   lol  no. not ALL folder bookmarks but A folder bookmark. you CAN have multiple folders with different numbers of bookmarks

FATH3R
Making moves

It was the main feature that made me choose Firefox over Chrome. Please fix it...

grfxguy
Making moves

Thank you , Firefox, for rendering the Bookmarks completely dysfunctional for all but the simplest of users. I have thousands of bookmarks well organized in folders and sub-folders. Now I cannot reach the bookmarks in the sub-folders beyond the first fly-out because it never shifts the mouse focus to the fly-out sub-folder. This is a CRITICAL ISSUE that makes trying to use my carefully compiled bookmarks nearly impossible. HELP!!!

@grfxguy wrote:

Thank you , Firefox, for rendering the Bookmarks completely dysfunctional for all but the simplest of users. I have thousands of bookmarks well organized in folders and sub-folders. Now I cannot reach the bookmarks in the sub-folders beyond the first fly-out because it never shifts the mouse focus to the fly-out sub-folder. This is a CRITICAL ISSUE that makes trying to use my carefully compiled bookmarks nearly impossible. HELP!!!

I have not heard of problems with hovering not opening sub-folders; this sounds like a new problem. Are you running Firefox 110.0.1, the current release, or Firefox 111.0, scheduled to release tomorrow?

I suggest posting this problem on the Mozilla Support site. They have a team of support volunteers to troubleshoot malfunctions with your currently installed version of Firefox, while this site is focused on idea submissions for future versions of Firefox (looking ahead anywhere from 8 weeks to many months). Here's a link to the new question form (for Windows/Mac/Linux): https://mzl.la/3y1vQUQ 

I'm running the latest version, 110.0.1. It's not that the subfolders don't fly out when hovered over; it's that you can't scroll them once they're open. It apoears that the mouse focus does not shift to the subfolder once it's open. I did find a workaround by turning on the bookmarks sidebar which still works correctly.

@grfxguy wrote:

I'm running the latest version, 110.0.1. It's not that the subfolders don't fly out when hovered over; it's that you can't scroll them once they're open. It apoears that the mouse focus does not shift to the subfolder once it's open. I did find a workaround by turning on the bookmarks sidebar which still works correctly.

Aha, okay, here's what I see in my test:

If you open a sub-folder from the Bookmarks Menu by hovering the sub-folder name, then position the mouse pointer over any of the bookmarks in the sub-folder, the action of the mouse scroll wheel is inconsistent:

Sub-Folder fitsSub-folder too long
Folder fits - all bookmarks visible without scrolling(1) N/A - nothing to scroll(2) No issue (Sub-folder scrolls as expected)
Folder too long - scrolling is required to see all bmks(3) Scroll wheel scrolls Folder rather than doing nothing(4) No issue (Sub-folder scrolls as expected

Scenario (3) seems to be more silly than serious, but are you having a problem with scenario (2) and/or (4) that I'm not seeing on my Firefox?

Spider-Man
Familiar face

commenter above is right. now I cannot do what he described either. also, ANOTHER new problem has developed... now whenever I even ADD a bookmark the entire freakin browser freezes up for like a good 10-15 seconds and won't let me do anything with it and then goes back to normal. wow. so we've gone from one bookmark issue to basically inability to even add a bookmark without a freezing browser every 5 minutes.  not enough facepalms in the world for mozilla right now.  just not.