cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address bar problems

Temblor
Making moves

Does anyone else have any problems trying to remove suggested listings from the address bar?

Every time I try to remove an address bar listing in the way that Firefox Support says that I should, it just doesn't **bleep**ing work.

I mean, why the Hell do you guys even put that **bleep** subheader in the "Remove websites from the address bar suggestions" article if the Goddamn technique's not even gonna **bleep**in' work no more?!?

3 REPLIES 3

jscher2000
Leader

Different approaches are needed for different suggestions depending on what kind they are and where they are displayed.

Items on the drop-down before you start typing anything for Firefox to match

When you first click in the address bar, Firefox can show your first 8-10 shortcuts from the built-in Firefox Home / new tab page. You can edit these items on that page, but not in the drop-down. See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/customize-items-on-firefox-new-tab-page. Don't want that list at all? Uncheck Shortcuts in the list of categories described in this article: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/address-bar-autocomplete-firefox.

Matches generated as you type

In the address bar itself:

The "autofill" feature may display a matching top level domain as you start typing letters. These are hard to get rid of if you have any history or bookmarks for the site. There is a method to completely flush them, but it only lasts as long as you don't go back. There also is a preference in about:config to completely disable autofill if you don't find this feature useful.

On the autocomplete drop-down:

In the search suggestions section: you can find both search history items (clock icon) and real-time search engine suggestions (magnifying glass icon). You can manage whether this section appears using a checkbox on the Settings page, Search panel. However, the presence of search history items is managed in a less obvious way. Pressing the down arrow on the keyboard to highlight a search history item and pressing Shift+Delete should work to remove that item.

In the Firefox suggestion section: you can find bookmarks, browsing history items, and open pages (for "switch to tab"). If you want to exclude any of these categories, see: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/address-bar-autocomplete-firefox.

Was the problem with one of those?

Temblor
Making moves

The autocomplete drop-down, in particular, is the problem.  Pressing Shift+Delete doesn't delete a search suggestion in the address bar, no matter how much I try.

@Temblor wrote:

The autocomplete drop-down, in particular, is the problem.  Pressing Shift+Delete doesn't delete a search suggestion in the address bar, no matter how much I try.

I'm not sure whether you mean on the drop-down -- the panel that is below the address bar showing various kinds of suggestions -- or in the address bar itself (autofill). Shift+Delete does not work on autofill.