cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does "Close all Windows" on Windows(TM) not behave the same as Ctrl+Shift+Q?

Ruby437
Making moves

I just lost my main Window with all the 500-ish tabs inside of it because I used the OS default mean of closing a program. That sucks. I think it's pretty expected for your things to be restored as normal regardless of whether you use that or shut down your PC, which I'm guessing firefox uses the correct way since I've not had issues with it before. I wasn't sure whether this is considered a bug or a missing feature, but I kinda expected it to get bounced on the bug list because it's unexpected behavior rather than a malfunction.

I've since upped the number of saved windows from 3 to 20, since I don't remember having more than 7 windows open at a time ever and that's plenty of buffer.

4 REPLIES 4

Ruby437
Making moves

If anyone's curious, the exact way of reaching this point was:
Rightclick Firefox on task bar
Click the only Close option windows offers, close all windows.
Open firefox again.
Panic because the main window is gone and the 3 secondary ones are back.

jscher2000
Leader

When you choose Close All Windows on a Taskbar icon, I don't think Windows informs Firefox that it should quit. Instead, it seems that Windows sends Firefox individual close window commands for each window, similar to clicking the X button at the upper right of each individual window.

characters
Making moves

'Close all windows'?

Interesting. The only close option I have is 'Close window'

characters_1-1668689959153.png

@characters wrote:

'Close all windows'?

Interesting. The only close option I have is 'Close window'

If you have multiple windows on the same icon (i.e., multiple windows are combined under a single button on the Taskbar, not separate), then Close window changes to Close all windows.