cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When they going to fix the copy and paste in Firefox?

Devastation36
Making moves

When they going to fix the copy and paste in Firefox? This has been on going for months now. When it does let me copy, then there are times when it will not let me paste. If I paste it to windows notebook and re-copy it it will then let me paste. I have cleared the cache, disabled add-ons nothing seems to help. The only thing Haven't tried yet is to uninstall Firefox and re-install it.

3 REPLIES 3

JDTheBomb
Making moves

dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled in about:config was set to false for some odd reason

Agentvirtuel
Contributor

Hello

About

uninstall Firefox and re-install it.

For information purposes

Uninstall Firefox from your computer
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer
Does not delete user data and settings, your user profile
You reinstall Firefox, then you normally get your user profile back https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

If you'd like create a new profile
about:profiles https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles#w_manage-...
Your current profile, this is the profile you're currently using; it can't be deleted ***.
Create a new profile
Simply enter the name you want and click Next.
Then stop Firefox start Firefox

And, it's a new profile

about:profiles
*** To return to a profile, then, Set as default profile

And don't delete your profile ***.

Don't delete your profile *** ? why

In a second step, if you wish
Go to about:profiles
Then
Your old profile ***, go to Root Directory [Open folder]
Explorer will open in the profile folder
Your newly created profile, go to Root Directory [Open folder]
Explorer will open in the profile folder
Then shut down Firefox

information is stored in my profile
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data#w_what-information-is-s...

Copy the data of your choice from your old profile to your newly created profile

Start Firefox

If you are in the profile ***
Then about:profile
Set as default profile your newly created profile

And if it's your newly created profile @ ok for you

Then, in a third step, if you wish
Go to about:profiles
Removing a profile ***
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles#w_removin...
You can remove an existing profile as follows

Delete Files

This action deletes the profile, Root Directory + its Local Directory

jscher2000
Leader

@Devastation36 wrote:

When they going to fix the copy and paste in Firefox? This has been on going for months now. When it does let me copy, then there are times when it will not let me paste. If I paste it to windows notebook and re-copy it it will then let me paste. I have cleared the cache, disabled add-ons nothing seems to help.

Hi, is this a problem with the right-click context menu? Users have reported that starting recently, items on this menu will be grayed out, but the keyboard shortcuts still work:

• Copy = Ctrl+C (on Mac, Command+C)
  • Paste = Ctrl+V (on Mac, Command+V)
  • Paste without formatting = Ctrl+Shift+V (on Mac, Command+Shift+V)

In those situations, users report that clicking in the address bar then back in the document sometimes fixes the menu.

Does that sound like your situation, or are the keyboard shortcuts not working for you, either?

----

One difference between copying from a page in Firefox and copying text in Windows Notepad is that Firefox typically puts both HTML code and text on the clipboard, and Notepad only puts text on the clipboard. Maybe this is a clue to figuring out why pasting isn't working consistently (some issue with the HTML Firefox is pulling off the clipboard).

----

Generally speaking, uninstall/reinstall can't fix problems caused by settings. One method to rule in/out an issue with settings or add-ons is:

New Profile Test

This takes about 3 minutes, plus the time to test your problem site(s).

Inside Firefox, type or paste about:profiles in the address bar and press Enter/Return to load it.

Take a quick glance at the page and make a mental note of which Profile has this notation: This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted. That is your current default profile.

Click the "Create a New Profile" button, then click Next. Assign a name like Test2024, ignore the option to relocate the profile folder, and click the Finish button.

Firefox will switch your default profile to the new one, so click the Set as Default Profile button for your regular one to avoid an unwanted surprise at your next startup.

Scroll down to Test2024 and click its Launch profile in new browser button.

Firefox should open a new window that looks like a brand new, uncustomized installation. (Your existing Firefox window(s) should not be affected.) Please ignore any tabs enticing you to connect to a Sync account or to activate extensions found on your system to get a clean test.

Does copy/paste work any better in the new profile?

When you are done with the experiment, you can close the extra window without affecting your regular Firefox profile. (Test2024 will remain available for future testing.)