cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 106.0 Tab bar is horrible, especially in Incognito windows

hn6899
Making moves

Two things:

1. The new "list all tabs" button needs to be removable (just like the "open a new tab" button). I don't need it, it's a waste of space.

2. In Incognito windows on the far right, there is absolutely no need to add the text "Private browsing" next to the icon. Again, it's not necessary. The icon was enough.

I'm on a 1920x1080 monitor and if I resize a window to half that width, nearly 1/3 of the tab bar is consumed by the "list all tabs" button and needless "Private browsing" text. And if you shrink the window's width beyond that your tabs get hidden! This is very bad design. For example, if I have 4 tabs open and shrink the window to 1/3 the width of my monitor only 2 tabs are fully visible. Furthermore, if you shrink an Incognito window to its minimum width all of your tabs are hidden, the only things left visible are the "list all tabs" button and "Private browsing" text.

This update is especially painful since I open 99% of links in Incognito windows for sake of less clutter (cookies, history, cache etc).

8 REPLIES 8

longtimeffuser
Making moves

And they changed colors too, when I was used to like it was. Why constant changes? Frustrating.

Almost completely agree. However all tabs is not that big deal because I open new anonymous windows - look something up, close anonymous windows. There. Like a one time used gloves on paper tissue. You do not store those..

Ao then also it does not make much sense to have some sort of list to it which only take up space on screen.

Anonymous view is maybe because they think that user are not wise enough to distinquish which is which. They make so many changes that one almost understands that there is so much confusion thing suddenly need labels to have some sort of understanding. Not that good thougt,

I always have 1 regular window and 1 dedicated Incognito window open, the latter for twitter and other social media and I open links in new incognito tabs. This is, again, for less clutter (less windows in the Win10 taskbar). It's not uncommon that I open a bunch of links but don't read/view them right away, or I simply leave them open to refer back to. The new tab bar is just a waste of space.

longtimeffuser
Making moves

That is very smart. Yes, less clutter. Anonymous windows helps with that. Read and delete. And actually now that I had to make account here to voice my user opinion on new changes I also have bunch of tabs open..  But I click between them. So the list is not needed.

However I think, not sure that the "arrow down" list of tabs was there even before wastn it?

My main issue is the color scheme which changes. I do not like change when something is great and stable. This is more of a side isssue - the list - from me. But it stems from the same: constant changes just to change something and make users mad.

kotsuki_chan
Making moves

I'm having a hard time changing the tabs to the order I need to work; they cluster together and simply stay there. The function "move tab" doesn't work as intended. Also, the drag-and-drop option of moving a tab from another window (shown in another monitor, for example) isn't working anymore.

It's very frustrating.

Red_Frog
Making moves

Yes, I see no reason to have a "List of tabs" right next to my actual list of tabs.

dylanzng
Making moves

This is exactly i want to say. list all tab button should be a choice rather than a fixed one, and why there is a space between this button and minimize button? it just doesn't make sense.

Further on the space utility, an option to reduce the tab bar hight is a very good idea. After all, 1080p, 2K, 4K monitor with different physical sizes are all prevelant....just a little under consierate  if only to fit a certain ppi.

@dylanzng wrote:

Further on the space utility, an option to reduce the tab bar hight is a very good idea. After all, 1080p, 2K, 4K monitor with different physical sizes are all prevelant....just a little under consierate  if only to fit a certain ppi.

The closest thing would be Compact density mode. https://support.mozilla.org/kb/compact-mode-workaround-firefox

jscher2000
Leader

Hi All, there is a setting for the List All Tabs (Tab Manager) button, but you do have to dig for it:

(A) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox. Please keep in mind that changes made through this back door aren't fully supported and aren't guaranteed to continue working in the future.

(B) In the search box in the page, type or paste browser.tabs.tabmanager.enabled and pause while the list is filtered

(C) Double-click the preference to switch the value from true to false -- this takes effect in new windows and/or after you exit/quit and restart Firefox

Note that when there are enough tabs to cause the left and right scroll buttons to appear, you'll still get the Tab Manager button even with this preference set to false, same as earlier versions of Firefox.