cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird asks for security exception overrides every day or more, driving us crazy!

RandySEA
Making moves

Windows 10 Pro and Home, on two different laptops. Thunderbird 115 but just updated to 128.3 an hour ago.

This just started a few weeks ago. I have an email provider with my own personal domain, and also use gmail. Using POP3/995 and SMTP/465, SSL and normal password.

Every day when I start up and do my first Getmail, I get a security error and have to confirm a security exception. Same from my first send mail. This happens with both emails accounts. The security exception may last all day, or sometimes reappear sooner if the laptop is in Sleep mode for an extended period.

I tried going to the certificate manager. I deleted all the exception entries pertaining to my two providers. According to some search results, deleting the cert8.db file may also be needed as it can be corrupted.

I stopped Tbird. Deleted the exceptions and renamed cert8.db to cert8.db.orig. It was in my profile folder. Restarted Tbird. Went through the exceptions and confirmations again. My list under SHA-256 exceptions showed new security exceptions.

I haven't been able to find any new cert8.db file yet in my profile yet. There is an older one in a default folder which I did not change. That seems odd. Maybe stopping a restarting tbird isn't enough. Maybe I have to restart Windows or the laptop. No, that didn’t do it.

cert8.db has not come back. However, there is another file I deleted (referenced on a Tbird forum). It is cert_override.txt. It is in my tbird profile. It had a 2019 date, I think. After deleting that file (actually, renaming it) I reopened Tbird. Did a Get Mail and send mail, again confirming security exceptions. There is a new cert_override.txt file. That does keep updating.

Incidentally, I found a file cert9.db dated July 2024. No idea what that one is.

cert_override.txt is the only file that keeps on updating, every time I restart and confirm a new security exception.

This is extremely aggravating, and driving my wife crazy just trying to get her new emails.

0 REPLIES 0