cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird 115.2.3 horrible layout

abrj76
Making moves

My Thunderbird-instalations was updated to 115.2.3 the other day. The layout is several steps back, hard to read, small fonts, and unlogic placement of menus and so on.
It's impossible to see how many new mails there are in the new bullet-thing that indicate how many new mails there are.
The fonts are to small
The menu-lines are to small and narrow and unlogic placed.
This design looks like it was made in the mid 1990's from a home-programmer.
I'm sorry, but this is not the way to go.

118 REPLIES 118

w_ponds
Making moves

I agree! I found your post while trying to search for ways to tweak or otherwise change the layout. What's with the button bar being all the way at the top?! I now have to move my mouse even further to do basic operations. Definitely a step back. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Yes, I agree, and I hate the tiny e mail contact list where it only shows 2 people's names and you must scroll and scroll to locate names. Not convenient. Was trying to make the e mail contact list like the old one and could not. Horrible layout. And the send to, cc, and bcc boxes are too big. way too big. go back to the drawing board or give a fix to this e mail contacts issue.

w_ponds
Making moves

Take a look at this page. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3111191 

It explains how to modify the Thunderbird UI using the userChrome.css file. I wrote a modified version of the code that they suggested in order to have my menu bar at the top then my tabs toolbar and then my unified (commands) toolbar. I use the QuickFolders extension and my code allowed the QuickFolders toolbar to be fourth in order as I like it. Here is the code for userChrome.css:

#toolbar-menubar { order: -3; }
#tabs-toolbar { order: -2; }
unified-toolbar { order: -1; }

I'm not interested in tweaking to much my self but that the software works out of the box with a decent, normal layout.

Nah. I'm not doing all that work. Either they give us an option to roll back to the previous version OR the previous version's UI, or I'm done with Thunderbird. F that noise.

Eeriik
Making moves

Windows TB Supernova is horrible ! It have lost my subfolders and it was syncronized my 2 Linux TBs. Auts ! No more money before TB is getting me back my SUBFOLDERS !

TB 102 how to minimize "All messages" part. That is also very, very, very BAD THING. Lot of frustrerad people around the wold, because you cannot delete rabish ! I have been given money to Mozilla, but no more, because Thunderbird is a junk !!!!!!!!

Best way to empty "All Mails" is to go Gmail account and do the cleaning there. Because "All Mails" are restored there, that is why Mails are coming back to Thanderbird, when you are "Deleting" Mails on Thunderbird "All Mails" !

This needs a TOTAL MAKE OVER,  or to go back to what was NOT BROKEN  and now IS.

Oh boy I totally agree and I loved the TB program used it for 15 years. And now it is so flawed and the 115 should be scrapped.  Do they ever admit their mistakes and go back with a fix?  I dont know. Anyone?

bev
Making moves

Good idea!  No more donations. Hopefully they will scrap 115 and g back to 102!

bev
Making moves

The E mail list is empty in the tab.  It was better on 102 not 115.   frustrating.

I'm not interested in tweaking to much my self but that the software works out of the box with a decent, normal layout

TOKEK55

tektite
Making moves

How can I go back to ver. 102? Can I just delete TBird and download 102? I've been using this program since 1995 Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird, and this is THE WORST update EVER!

I reverted back to 102. A pure nightmare to revert because 115 modifies the profile and you can't open it in 102. This is HORRIBLE. You need to take a backup of your profile saved with 102 otherwise you are screwed.

Bottom line is you cant. TB 115 changes configurations in e mail so even if you tried to go back it doesnt work because changes made by 115 are permanent. Its  a mess to try.  Take my word for it.  102 was perfect and now they really messed it up with 115.  horrible. My contacts list has no one in it. the tab is at the top of the header bar when clicked it takes to to a dark version of address book barely readable. TB should have warned everyone this was a major overhaul and its absolutely terrible.  No more donations to TB. hopefully they will trash this 115 update and make a fix to easily go back to 102.

I guess they think they are cute to make you hunt for the button to send mail since they took it OFF of the mail!  IN FURIATING!

@tektite wrote:

@tektite wrote:

How can I go back to ver. 102? Can I just delete TBird and download 102? I've been using this program since 1995 Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird, and this is THE WORST update EVER!

Here is a Youtube video about how to downgrade to v102 , not sure if it keeps all your old emails or not and if the underlying new code in v115.3.1 can be  removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7f5CjeJQww

If you are GMail client, all your E-Mails are in GMail-server, so messages are coming back to your

Thunderbird. That is why you cannot delete EMails on TB side. But one thing is also duplicates.

Thanks! worked.

This tutorial save my life.

when you  get back to 102 make sure to set your update in settings to check but let me decide otherwise it will keep going back to this crappy updated version

asciiman
Making moves

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to chime in here and agree.  The changes published in 115.x.x are abominable and illogical.  Some supervisor at Mozilla needs to rein in his people and give them a talking to...  the "just plain stupid" flipping of the Menu Bar and the Search/Commands bar is difficult to understand...  there is no hierarchical logic to the layout.  UI designers have been more and more trying to design UI's like smart phone apps.  But there is a big difference in the kinds of work that get done on the desktop...  Mozilla should know this!  The density feature gives us 3 unworkable choices... too small, too large, and waaay too large.  Great job people!  For those that are managing a LAN you can blacklist the update to 115.x.x.  The 113.x.x series of Thunderbird was good.

Just a thought.... its like having too much plastic surgery you have to know when to stop. Pretty soon you're unrecognizable A little tweek is fine so I compare this 115 to too much overhaul to a fine working easy 102 version. Stop trying to improve TB now we got many issues of everyone hating it. Asking to go back to 102. I hope they don't touch Firefox another fine program they will try to overhaul and that will be a mess too. Hey Mozilla  are you listening?

Mozilla was bought out by Google.

It's a take over.

Clodsahamp1234
Making moves

I agree also. This was the badest thunderbird layout I 've ever had.

Not alone the tiny fonts but also the gaps between the lines. Please give me the previous version back!

the SMALL gaps between the lines

bev
Making moves

In my opinion the fix should be an easy way to go back to Thunderbird 102. You cant easily go back because the current 115 changes all the settings.  Hey TB trash this update 115 and make it easy to go back to 102. or update to 102 with the original 102 parameters, because right now there is no fix for get rid of 115.  We hate it.  Dont mess with what worked well for years.  Bad upgrade to say the least. so disappointed

mvnrsa
Making moves

Worst update since 1995!!!
May have to trash TB if this horrible trend of making layout changes without fair warning and an easy way to revert back to the previous layout is not made available.

1. Layout is horrible;
  2. Density options are all useless;
  3. Mark button is now only a dropdown (two clicks every time!  which idiot thought this was a good idea?)
  4. Spacers are now huge so getting the toolbar spacing right is impossible!

asciiman
Making moves

Agree with all of you here.

What I don't understand is HOW this kind of horrible change was perceived to be an improvement?  How far from reality have the management at Mozilla drifted??  Where is the supervision???  If this is a glimpse of their future road map... time to find another product!

mvnrsa
Making moves

What I want to know is do anybody from Mozilla actually read these threads?
If they do they should action this URGENTLY and if they don't we should drop TB...

I really hope that they read it, and take a notice. That's why I made this tread/post.

Avizo
Making moves

I completely agree with this post and all the comments that follow.
This update is horrible, total nonsense, not intuitive at all.
It's outrageous to proceed with the update without further warning, and above all, it's unacceptable not to provide for a simple, data-safe rollback.
I'd like to add that I wasn't 100% satisfied with the previous version, but with a few keyboard shortcuts, I was able to organize myself so as to make reasonable use of the software.
With the new version, almost all my shortcuts have to be redone, and some of them are IMPOSSIBLE!
I'm wasting a lot of time with this update, and when I read that to make certain modifications, you have to change CSS files... what's the big deal, to have software that works, you practically have to code it yourself?

pgeenhuizen
Making moves

I agree as well, this update is a monumental step backwards and I can't find one single positive thing to say about it.

why can't the supposed improvements be made under the hood without forcing this horrible interface and it's idiot changes on us and then to add insult to injury no way to either fall back or to at least retain the previous layout. 

Fortunately for me I was able to fall back to the previous version and have now disabled any future updates, so that I now will no longer have to put up with these poorly though tout and mindless changes.

Gandon
Making moves

Hello,

Yes this new version is horrible ! We lost the possibility to chose wich account we want to retrieve new messages from.  If I am in a hurry and I want to get new messages from a specific account only, I can't anymore. The layout is not clear at all. the menu line is at the wrong place and the icons are thick and dark. Can't even go back to 102.15.1 sice I didn't made a profile backup for that version...

I am desperate

@Gandon wrote:

@Gandon wrote:

Hello,

Yes this new version is horrible ! We lost the possibility to chose wich account we want to retrieve new messages from.  If I am in a hurry and I want to get new messages from a specific account only, I can't anymore. The layout is not clear at all. the menu line is at the wrong place and the icons are thick and dark. Can't even go back to 102.15.1 sice I didn't made a profile backup for that version...

I am desperate

Yeah , I have 2 email accounts with the same problem , before in v102 , I had the Get Messages icon on the toolbar and I could to get new messages from my 2 email accounts as well as my newsgroup account.

Now in v115.3.1 the Get Messages icon only applies to new newsgroup messages.

So now to check my individual email accounts I need to go to File ...... Get New Messages and then select the individual accounts.

Another real annoying thing  is that if I want to swap between the inboxes of each email accounts , the only way of accessing them is to put my mouse pointer on the far left of the inbox pane and drag / slide the panel accross to reveal the tree listing of all folders in each email account as well as the newsgroup account.

Avizo
Making moves

I totally agree, it's one of the many negative points I've noticed. Before, there was this button to fetch mail for all boxes... with a pop-up that allowed you to fetch mail for just one box on the list. Cool.
In the new version, this menu has disappeared... Replaced by a stupid cloud icon. What's it for???

It's as absurd as if someone modified my house by condemning the door I used ten times a day to put up a picture advertising door hinges 😉

Well, I'll give you a solution anyway: while searching around, I came across a sub-menu in the "File" menu called "Check new messages for...", with the option of choosing
"All accounts" Shift-Cmd-Y
"The account currently in use" Cmd-Y
the list of each individual account

I'm on a Mac and in French, but I assume there's the same thing (with different shortcuts) on other versions.

Not as handy as the old button/menu, but it helps.

Thank you Avizo ! It definitely helps even if it's not handy indeed.

Let's hope that Thunderbird, to whom I give donations occasionnaly, will give us back the old layout and will change this huge step in the past...

This solution is in the help. At least it is updated.

Each new version seems to be a regression. Fetching new mails in a box now takes 3 clicks instead of 2. Were is the improvement? When you set a quick filter the selected message is the oldest instead of the newest and you have to scroll hundred lines. How can this be it better? 

In the past (long time ago) there was a function to edit the source of a new message. This was useful to clean up the layout or remove empty tables. This was removed, why?

This type of changes should be clearly explained before updating. There is a change log with hundred changes which can't be read and are not understandable.

Please ask users to test it seriously before releasing a developer's version.

I'm not a geek, but this is DESTROYING MY WORK, MY TIME, AND MY GOOD WILL.