cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious FireFox Update Received 8 April 22

Diogenes
Making moves

Yesterday 8 April at 8pm EDT i got a popup "Do you want to update Firefox?" Answered yes and downloaded Firefox Installer.exe. Next window said to run the .exe file but included a note to the effect that Windows will say it doesn't recognize the file (or something to that effect) but go ahead and run the .exe file anyway. Uhhh, I don't think so. My browser says I'm up to date ver. 99.0 (64 bit).  I kept the suspicious .exe file and its Properties all look legit. Am I being paranoid?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

pg_78
Making moves

@Diogenes wrote:

Am I being paranoid?

I don't believe you are being paranoid.  When Firefox itself on Windows prompts you to update and you approve it, the remaining steps are handled automatically - you don't need to manually run .exe files.

This sounds like the popup didn't come from Firefox, but from some illegitimate website trying to trick you into installing malware.

View solution in original post

Diogenes
Making moves

It looks like I dodged a bullet - usually I manage to shoot myself in the foot.  Thanx

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pg_78
Making moves

@Diogenes wrote:

Am I being paranoid?

I don't believe you are being paranoid.  When Firefox itself on Windows prompts you to update and you approve it, the remaining steps are handled automatically - you don't need to manually run .exe files.

This sounds like the popup didn't come from Firefox, but from some illegitimate website trying to trick you into installing malware.

Diogenes
Making moves

It looks like I dodged a bullet - usually I manage to shoot myself in the foot.  Thanx