cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUSH NOTIFICATIONS: OPEN AND INTERACT USING THE NVDA SCREEN READER

MaurizioBarra
Making moves

Hello to all the great Firefox Community.
I also made this proposal by creating a New Idea, but I also prefer to pose the problem here:
using screen readers, in particular I am referring to the best, in my opinion, which I use, Nvda, there is no way to interact with the Push Notifications I receive from the sites.
Keeping the default settings in Firefox, with native push notifications in the browser, it is really impossible to interact with them, if not thanks to an Nvda addon which, however, only allows access to their list, to the essential content, but in Read Only Mode and therefore it's useless, it's important to interact with them and open them.
So I thought I'd put them in
Windows Notification Center,
changing from
False
to
True
the string
alerts.useSystemBackend
But, in doing so, it's very nice because I access it, but basically only the first one opens and the others don't.
Occasionally, it happened to me that a second one also opened, but
Random
just at random and then out of 40 notifications, 2 open...
Or it happened that if I open the first one from Youtube, for example, then I also open the second one, but if it comes from a different app, like Twitter, or in other words from a different site, the latter doesn't open at all or, if it happens that it opens, then Youtube doesn't open anymore and none of the following ones.
I have to content myself with reading them and then consulting them by going to the site in question, accessing its notifications from the web page.
It would be at least useful if you could reach them by pressing for example
F6
as happens when installing an addon, where I press 2 times
F6
and so I have the Popup where I click (do Enter) on
Okay
in the alert that comes up when I finish installing an add-on or would it be nice with specific keyboard shortcuts that open a dialog with push notifications
or a specific addon that allows you to interact with these alerts in a completely accessible way.
For my part, I can't help but adore Firefox, which is perhaps slightly slower than chrome, which has excellent interaction with push notifications, but for example, for site players and multimedia content, firefox is unbeatable, so as for Privacy, as well as for resource consumption, even if on Dazn for example the RAM in use increases dramatically, but this can be remedied by starting a new profile only with that page open.
Please, really, if you can, fix this Accessibility issue, that would be wonderful.
If I can make requests, even the description of the images as Chrome and Edge do, would be wonderful and stupendous, let's say that with Firefox I use specific Nvda add-ons to do Ocr and extrapolate text from images or there is also an addon of Firefox, but above all for the text extrapolated from images, for their description, if there is no Tag-Aglt, I use Nao for Nvda, a specific addon or, just for the description of the images,
Cloud Vision
by Nvda.
But really the feature I would like to find is the full management of Push Notifications in Firefox with the Nvda screen reader.
Thank you for your tireless work and your professional application and dedication.
With estimates.

Maurizio

5 REPLIES 5

2MuchC0ff33
Making moves

Thank you for contacting the Firefox community about your concerns about push notifications' accessibility. The problem you're experiencing is undoubtedly a barrier for users who rely on screen readers to interact with web content. I recommend contacting the NVDA community and the Firefox accessibility team to raise awareness of this issue and see if there is a temporary workaround or solution. To bring this to the attention of the development team, you could also file a bug report on the official Firefox bug tracker. Keep in mind that this is a complex issue that may take some time to resolve, but your feedback is greatly appreciated and will contribute to making the web more accessible.

MaurizioBarra
Making moves

Thanks a lot for the answer! I will certainly do what is suggested, however if among you you can dialogue with your experts and developers, it will certainly be relevant and important. Thanks again for everything!

Maurizio

No worries @MaurizioBarra.

I did a quick search in Bugzilla and found similar bugs already reported. I suggest registering and adding comments on any bugs you find relevant to your use case.

A heartfelt and sincere Super Thanks!
Excellent indication, in the meantime I have consulted all 49 reports and no one mentions one like mine, so I will certainly report the Bug.
Congratulations to all and thanks for the useful and timely support!

2MuchC0ff33
Making moves

You are welcome @MaurizioBarra .

Good luck!