cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture in Picture broken in v103

palerdot
Making moves

v103 Firefox update broke the 'Picture in Picture' feature. (Probably the main reason I use firefox). Now on clicking on 'Picture in Picture' it just switches to full screen mode.

Just fix this already ... please !!!!

- Mac 12.2.1

8 REPLIES 8

palerdot
Making moves

I checked if it is working fine in nightly/beta/developer editions and it is broken everywhere. Seems like no one in the firefox team/community is really using this feature. Unlike other issues raised, this issue functionally broke a mainstream user facing feature.

It would be great if firefox team just steps up and fix this bug.

Hi,

We are tracking the issue with full-screen mode on mac in 103 - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1781830

I'm on mac 12.2.1 myself, and while the issue above reproduces for me, the issue you describe - PiP in full screen every time, does not. We are looking into this now too.

We will release the fix in the nearest dot release.

P.S. It helps the team a lot when you report PiP bugs in Bugzilla where we are able to triage them and react quickly (rather than on Connect where non-urgent discussions normally happen). Thank you!

I refrained from creating a Bugzilla bug because I thought it would be best for the maintainers to create bugs in the official bug repository, rather than everyone in the internet creating their own bug ticket for the same issue. I will create a Bugzilla ticket next time.

As for the issue, when I tried installing new versions (beta/nightly), it worked fine for the first run (when PIP info tooltip is shown). But, after that it reverted to going into full screen mode.

Also, I would suggest avoiding breaking functionality on a major release. This does not inspire confidence on firefox. I have been staunchly using Firefox and also recommending it to people to switch to Firefox. Functionality breaking on a major release will prevent people from adopting Firefox.

palerdot
Making moves

Fyi ... This issue has been marked as fixed in firefox release - 103.0.2 - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/103.0.2/releasenotes/

But this issue still exists.

(Mac 12.5)

I just updated my Mac version to 103.0.2 and can confirm this is fixed on my end. I can't replicate the issue any longer.

Thank you Mozilla team!!!

My mac version is `12.5` and it still does not work for me and lot others.

I also notice that the original issue (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1781830) is not closed. I hope Mozilla team is looking into this issue.

I dug more into this issue and I found out the issue. PIP window is maximised and looks like a full screen overlay. Then I tried to minimise the PIP screen to small rectangle and now it works as expected. But, if PIP window automatically maximizes to look like a full screen window, then it might be a problem and could cause confusion to users. Hope this helps someone out.

For now, after minimizing things are looking good in my system.

Mikomoto
Making moves

Firefox 103 PIP is also broken on Win10. It cannot remember the position. Each time I use it the PIP window is moving slightly to the right of the monitor and will not stay in the same position. Very annoying. I reverted back to version 102, problem solve. I'll update once fixed. Another issue on version 103 is everything got zoomed in by default, after the update, everything looks zoomed in. I've been messing with the zoom setting for the past few days, just got tired it. Version 102 works perfectly for now.