cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF 102.0 // Open with another programm instead of downloading

Jade
Making moves

The latest update to Mozilla 102.0 brings the problem why I do not like to use Google Chrome:

Even though it is possible to choose how to behave when opening a PDF in the browser in the first place, after opening in Firefox it is no longer possible to choose via the file button if I want to save the file or just open it with another programm.

Please change this to how it was before.

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jscher2000
Leader

Hi Jade, you might want to submit this under the "Ideas" section; this "Discussion" section isn't part of the new idea flow.

Just to clarify for anyone reading, before Firefox 98, the Download button in the built-in PDF viewer popped up the Download dialog with a choice to either "Open with [relevant application]" or "Save". Now, the button is only a "Save As" button and does not offer the choice to open directly.

Fx102-pdf-viewer-download.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jscher2000
Leader

Hi Jade, you might want to submit this under the "Ideas" section; this "Discussion" section isn't part of the new idea flow.

Just to clarify for anyone reading, before Firefox 98, the Download button in the built-in PDF viewer popped up the Download dialog with a choice to either "Open with [relevant application]" or "Save". Now, the button is only a "Save As" button and does not offer the choice to open directly.

Fx102-pdf-viewer-download.png

Hi jscher,

Thanks for the correction. That's what I wanted to say ☺️

The new update has screwed the downloading of .pdfs, now Firefox wants to open them in the browser and I want it to open in my ,pdf reader. Can you undo the "enforced" feature.

sara
Making moves

Hi Jade and jscher2000,

it's  not a "new idea" to criticize the relatively new function, that all PDFs opened in Firefox end up saved on the computer.

I have tried every setting I can find and think of, but to no avail: no matter what, every clicked PDF in Firefox will be locally saved. PLEASE undo this function again, as it was not so all these years before.

Thank you.

@sara wrote:

Hi Jade and jscher2000,

it's  not a "new idea" to criticize the relatively new function, that all PDFs opened in Firefox end up saved on the computer.

I have tried every setting I can find and think of, but to no avail: no matter what, every clicked PDF in Firefox will be locally saved. PLEASE undo this function again, as it was not so all these years before.

Thank you.

Hi Sara, that is a different issue. Could you look at my two long replies on Mozilla Support here (scroll down past the solution part to the full discussion):

https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1387228

They describe what changed in Firefox 98 and how to adjust newly added options to get PDFs to save where you want them to save.

Thank you very much, jscher2000, I'll look it up.